Bertucci A-5P Question re: Tritium Tubes
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CometHunter

Thread: Bertucci A-5P Question re: Tritium Tubes

My Watchbox

Default Bertucci A-5P Question re: Tritium Tubes

I recently purchased a Bertucci A-5P with tritium illumination via mail order. I was dismayed to see that there was nothing glowing at the 12 O'Clock position, like the other illuminated hour markers. It appeared to have a tube there, but just not glowing, so I sent it back and received the replacement today. It also does not glow at the 12 O'Clock position. If you look at this image; https://www.amazon.com/Bertucci-1350...83198602&psc=1 , it clearly shows a tritium tube at the noon hour, although horizontal, not radial as the other tubes are oriented.
    Does anyone have this watch or another Bertucci tritium model, that can confirm that this is normal or did I get 2 duds in a row?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

This is one that you will have to take up with Amazon. Sounds like you may have gotten your original watch back or another problem watch. In doing a bit of Google searching I came across threads in other forums that had a real mixed bag of opinions regarding those watches and a number of the complaints involved the lume. I'm also figuring that was you who left the 'review' on Amazon....

My Watchbox

Doing a quick online search of the same A-5P watch, it reveals that the 12 oclock position does appear to glow but in a different hue.

lume.jpg

lume1.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I went to the actual Bertucci website and tried to look up the watch you purchased (5-AP) and it wasn't listed under their models for sale, so maybe it's been discontinued for performance issues? Another possibility is that the Amazon seller (not Bertucci) bought old stock that was returned to Bertucci for exactly the problem you experienced? Their newer models have the tube situated at 12 vertical, not horizontal.

Try contacting them directly at...
    Bertucci Performance Watches - Contact Us

I prefer (with my eyes)

A2LumeImage.jpg

My Watchbox

This pic was from the Bertucci website Link and its a file photo but it shows a different colored but illuminated 12 oclock position. It appears it should be glowing but in a different color. If yours doesn't look like the 4 pics I attached, you may have an issue.
    2.jpg

A blown up but blurry pic of the different colored 12 oclock position.
    1.jpg

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

Another possibility is that nothing is wrong with the Tritium tubes, and that you're seeing the result of not enough homework.

SIZE IS WORKING AGAINST YOU- That tube at the 12 isn't very big; it's short and thin. Those two factors are responsible for much disappointment in Tritium watches. The (safe) radioactive gas in the tubes reacts with the phosphor particles which makes them glow.The more surface area there is, the brighter the tube will glow; conversely, the smaller the tube, the dimmer it will seem to be (like yours).

COLOR IS WORKING AGAINST YOU- I've seen Tritium tubes that glow green, yellow,off-white, and an odd orangey-red. Anyone steeped in science will tell you that the photoreceptors at the back of your eye are most sensitive to greens, and least sensitive to reds. There's a simple way to test this. Some clear night, go out and find a spot that is a mile away from a traffic signal. The green light will be easy enough to discern - even from a mile away! And you may not have trouble seeing the amber light. But when the signal changes to red, it will be very very hard to see it happen. Personally, I can't see the red light at all, unless I know EXACTLY where to look! Little wonder that you think the Tritium tube at the 12 is defective.

One more thing I noticed: Between the 7 and the 8, you'll see a "T25" for 25 milliCuries (mCi in scientific shorthand). The T rating relates to the total radiation content within and emitted by the watch, measured in mCi. What you want is a T100 watch that is rated at 100 mCi. This will appear MUCH brighter to the naked eye.

Bottom line: Your watch is acting quite normally. You just made the unfortunate choice of selecting a watch with skinny gas tubes that don't live up to all the glowing PR (pardon the pun) of watch companies that deal in Tritium.
    If I ever win the lottery (those tritium tubes are EXPENSIVE!) I'd get a watch made by DEEP BLUE.
    They have a night time glow that blows the competition outta the water!
    Last edited by CometHunter; 01-16-2019 at 03:23 AM.
    mikeyt_53 likes this.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

My Watchbox

Thanks to all that replied, great information!
    By confirming that there is a tube in that location, and it is a different color (orange), and then comparing the brightness of the other, green tubes, which are not very bright compared to my other tritium featured watch (Vostok Caspian Sea Monster), I have concluded that these Bertucci watches are already starting to go dim (purchased at Sierra Trading, not Amazon....).
    This was a big help, and prevented me from trying yet a third example. It's going back. My fascination with tritium illuminated watches is starting to fade...;-) I would prefer their full dial illumination, at this point, ala the A-2SEL. Thanks again, great web site!

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk53 View Post
    I went to the actual Bertucci website and tried to look up the watch you purchased (5-AP) and it wasn't listed under their models for sale, so maybe it's been discontinued for performance issues? Another possibility is that the Amazon seller (not Bertucci) bought old stock that was returned to Bertucci for exactly the problem you experienced? Their newer models have the tube situated at 12 vertical, not horizontal.

Try contacting them directly at...
    Bertucci Performance Watches - Contact Us

I prefer (with my eyes)

A2LumeImage.jpg
    This is the one I would prefer, the SEL! Looks great, eh? Reminds me of the Timex Indigo illumination, which works great (IMHO), unlike the cheap case coating that wore off, exposing me to whatever nasty metal it was made from.....:-)

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by CometHunter View Post
    Another possibility is that nothing is wrong with the Tritium tubes, and that you're seeing the result of not enough homework.

SIZE IS WORKING AGAINST YOU- That tube at the 12 isn't very big; it's short and thin. Those two factors are responsible for much disappointment in Tritium watches. The (safe) radioactive gas in the tubes reacts with the phosphor particles which makes them glow.The more surface area there is, the brighter the tube will glow; conversely, the smaller the tube, the dimmer it will seem to be (like yours).

COLOR IS WORKING AGAINST YOU- I've seen Tritium tubes that glow green, yellow,off-white, and an odd orangey-red. Anyone steeped in science will tell you that the photoreceptors at the back of your eye are most sensitive to greens, and least sensitive to reds. There's a simple way to test this. Some clear night, go out and find a spot that is a mile away from a traffic signal. The green light will be easy enough to discern - even from a mile away! And you may not have trouble seeing the amber light. But when the signal changes to red, it will be very very hard to see it happen. Personally, I can't see the red light at all, unless I know EXACTLY where to look! Little wonder that you think the Tritium tube at the 12 is defective.

One more thing I noticed: Between the 7 and the 8, you'll see a "T25" for 25 milliCuries (mCi in scientific shorthand). The T rating relates to the total radiation content within and emitted by the watch, measured in mCi. What you want is a T100 watch that is rated at 100 mCi. This will appear MUCH brighter to the naked eye.

Bottom line: Your watch is acting quite normally. You just made the unfortunate choice of selecting a watch with skinny gas tubes that don't live up to all the glowing PR (pardon the pun) of watch companies that deal in Tritium.
    If I ever win the lottery (those tritium tubes are EXPENSIVE!) I'd get a watch made by DEEP BLUE.
    They have a night time glow that blows the competition outta the water!
    Excellent hypothesis, makes sense. I don't think I am missing it, I really think it is dead, as the green tubes are not very bright either (but they are working....). What I think has happened is that either these watches have been sitting around and have lost much of their initial brightness (which is why Sierra Trading is now discounting them heavily at about 1/2 price), or Bertucci used "tired" tubes to begin with. I'd like to think it was the former and not the latter.
    It's interesting that subs "rig for red" to preserve night vision, and car companies use red illumination for the gauges at night (BMW was the first I remember seeing do this in the 70s, now my Subie Cross-Trek as red lighting at night). This likely ties in with your explanation above.
    Finally, I remember have a "tritium" illuminated LCD watch in college, circa 1980. There was no discrete light source tube, the entire display was backlit, if memory serves (not a sure thing after so many years..). Gave it away. I know it was not very expensive $50- $75?, but wish I could remember who made it! Was it an oddball to use tritium so many years ago?

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

I somehow doubt that the tubes are "tired", although I suppose the tubes could have gotten short-sheeted on the phosphor. But being radio-active, tritium gas
    has a half-life of apporximately 12.5 years. Which means the watch would have had to have been made AT LEAST that long ago for the tubes to start fading. And it would probably take the human eye another 2 years to be able to start to detect such fading.
    Anyway, it's a moot point if you're switching to a totally different brand of watch.

Finally, I remember have a "tritium" illuminated LCD watch in college, circa 1980.
    LCD watches back then did not have tritium, unles there were regular watch hands as well as tan LCD screen. We refer to those as analog/digital watches.
    In the 1980"s, they would have been illuminated one of two ways: (a) an actual LED light bulb, or by (b) electro-luminescence (like the Timex Indiglo watch). There were a surprising number of different watches back then. My advicewould ge to Google the generic phrase "electro-luminescent wrist watch", see what imiges come up, and look to see if anything looks familiar.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

Thread Information