RePLATEit Case Restoration - Page 2

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: RePLATEit Case Restoration

WTF Full Member
    (He who knows nothing is closer to the truth then he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors)

My Watchbox

If anyone is interested in sending a watch case to replateit dot com, this is the email I just received from them.

Hello, We use K14 hamilton color for heavy electroplating, which is similar to the natural color of K18.

Thank you and have a nice day!
    Peter

(~Commercial Airline Mechanic "Retired"~)

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Catman8 View Post
    If anyone is interested in sending a watch case to replateit dot com, this is the email I just received from them.

Hello, We use K14 hamilton color for heavy electroplating, which is similar to the natural color of K18.

Thank you and have a nice day!
    Peter
    Yes, this is true. But you must remember there is a distinction between "Gold Plated" or Heavy Electroplated watches in your quote from Peter and Solid Gold Watches. According to Peter at RePLATEit, solid gold watches don't get 'replated', as they are solid gold, although they can put a decorative 5 micron Rhodium layer on White Gold if requested, but it is optional and not required. Solid Gold watches get repaired to near factory appearance and that its, no need for any plating. Only the cheaper gold plated or electroplated watch cases go through the plating process in 5-micron increments and that is what their main pricing list is all about. It could be abit clearer on their webpage. This info was discussed and clarified to me in detail in a recent exchange of emails with him. The Solid Gold cases I have sent them only needed restored and none were ever plated. Like many specialized restoration companies, you have to get very specific on what the conversion is about or info can sure get mixed up.

Anybody that may decide to use Replateit for case restoration, ONLY ship the watch case per their instructions. They do not do watch disassembly and reassembly. Per their instructions below:

************************************************** ************************************************** **********************************

WHY DON'T YOU OFFER THE DISASSEMBLY SERVICE AND INSIST ON HAVING ONLY THE WATCH CASE SHIPPED TO YOU?

It's very simple. We are a watch case refinishing and re-plating workshop, so our specialty is to work on the watch case itself and its parts only. Having to do the disassembly would slow us down from our work and that would mean a considerable increase of the cost which would affect our pricing to the customer. The majority of our customers are already watchmakers and dealers, which means they can do the disassembly themselves and save on the final cost. However, we are looking into offering a VIP service in the near future. This service will be designed to cover the needs of retail customers that have no knowledge on watchmaking.
    Last edited by Spaceview M2; 02-26-2019 at 10:29 AM.

My Watchbox

These are two of my latest Case restoration projects. This White Gold Spiral Lug(top 2 pics) really didn't need restored but I got bored and wanted to fancy it up just abit more since it did show some minor wear and tear so it went to RePLATEit for restoration. Cost about $108.00 USD that includes $550 insurance and return shipping. 26 day turn time door to door.
    b4.jpg

************************************************** ***********************************

And this is another 14kt Yellow Gold Spiral Lug I bought a month or two ago and obviously needs restored. RePLATEit in Montreal has it right now. We shall see how this one turns out in a few weeks. It was in pretty bad shape as you can see. This will be the 4th Solid Gold case I have sent them and so far its been a very good experience with all my projects.
    b2.jpg
    Last edited by Spaceview M2; 03-06-2019 at 02:02 PM.

(Retired Engineer. Pratt Whitney Aircraft)

My Watchbox

When you sent them the watch case and back, did you remove the crystal, setting stem, battery spring etc? Only the gold pieces?

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Fish View Post
    When you sent them the watch case and back, did you remove the crystal, setting stem, battery spring etc? Only the gold pieces?

I removed the crystal.The Setting stem and battery hatch cover were still intact when they got it. I didn't disassemble anything on the caseback.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I used them about 4-5 yrs ago to refinish a 14k Gruen Pan-Am case and i thought they did a terrific job with turn-around in less than 30 days. I wouldn't hesitate to use them a 2nd time either.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Very pretty work.

(Retired Engineer. Pratt Whitney Aircraft)

My Watchbox

SM2. Do you have any idea what the original watch band was that came on the spiral lug 14K gold Accutron?

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Fish View Post
    SM2. Do you have any idea what the original watch band was that came on the spiral lug 14K gold Accutron?
    I am not sure I recall seeing an original Spiral Lug watch photo on anything but a leather strap but that could certainly vary depending on what a customer would have preferred at the time. Metal bands are extremely hard on solid gold lugs so leather strap variants would be the most case friendly.

3.jpg

spiral lug.jpg
    Time2Fish likes this.

My Watchbox

I received the Yellow Gold Spiral Lug case from RePLATEit today. They did a very nice job on the case as you can see on the before and after pic. This is the 4th case restoration I sent them since Sept 2018. So far all case restorations have gone very smooth. For a FYI: The average turn time from door to door is about 4-6 weeks, the cost has averaged $75.00 USD for each solid gold case restoration and the average one way shipping time is about 7-10 days.

Last edited by Spaceview M2; 03-20-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    watchabit, mikeyt_53 and Rob B like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information