The cost of maintenance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CometHunter

Thread: The cost of maintenance

My Watchbox

Default The cost of maintenance

I am curious as to the schedule and cost of maintaining a watch with an ETA automatic movement. Any info will be appreciated and will aid in
    my next purchase. Thank you in advance.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

IMHO only.... ETA auto's are fairly robust but should be cleaned / oiled every 5-7 yrs if you want them to really last a long time.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

Where you have the work done will probably be a bigger factor than whether the movement was made by ETA, Sellita, Seiko, HMT, Miyota, etc. People in small towns will pay less for the same repair work than those in major metropolitan areas. In other words, the local standard of living does a lot to dictate prices.

Using my own self as a reference, if memory serves me correctly, my first watch service (without any needed repairs) was around $155. But as I turned into a Repeat Customer, bringing just one repair shop ALL my watches to be serviced, Bernie (my watch guy) would eventually apply different discounts to my bill. Some examples are: decreased cost of actual services, or I'd just be charged the store's cost for repair parts, or minor costs would be waived completely. In April, along with a watch needing cleaning, I presented Bernie with a case of assorted spring bars in sizes too small and too long for me to use. As a result of this, Bernie charged me a flat $100 for the cleaning.
    The moral of this story is that while your first servicing can seem pricey, it IS possible to positively affect what you'll have to pay for future services. You scratch your watchmaker's back, and chances are that he'll scratch yours!
    Last edited by CometHunter; 10-01-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    26Brian! likes this.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

My Watchbox

Aye - that can be said about a lot of things in life. Sometimes kindness and being a repeat customer can make a big difference. Just learning her name and always being nice to the cashier lady where I work gets me a free breakfast every now and then

Thread Information