Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By administrator
  • 1 Post By watchabit

Thread: Malware on WTF ?

My Watchbox

Default Malware on WTF ?

No help yet on the malware problem? It's really aggravating, I clear cache and history, and have to re-log in but it pops up again pretty quick. I have found that opening another page and leaving the malware page open in the background will buy a little time, but it catches on and will pop up on the new page in a few minutes.
    Is this actually being addressed? I wouldn't think it's rocket science, a good IT guy (or high school computer nerd) could prob fix it?

Administrator WTF Veteran administrator's Avatar

My Watchbox

If you are referring to the amazon pop ups, they aren't an infection on the site, they are corrupted ads written maliciously to annoy users on thousands of sites, it's not limited to this one or even to our network. Even sites like CNN and Buzzfeed get these redirects. They're designed to trigger if you're using desktop view on a mobile device. We're working with ad networks to stem this.

Kyle
    watchabit likes this.

My Watchbox

I'm referring to the redirect malware discussed one thread below this. "You have won a $1000 wal mart gift card" etc... redirects your page to the phishing page.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    If you are referring to the amazon pop ups, they aren't an infection on the site, they are corrupted ads written maliciously to annoy users on thousands of sites, it's not limited to this one or even to our network. Even sites like CNN and Buzzfeed get these redirects. They're designed to trigger if you're using desktop view on a mobile device. We're working with ad networks to stem this.

Kyle
    They accomplish their objective quite well!
    Thanks Kyle.

My Watchbox

Not to sound crude, but picture it from our end, we get it and then we get people mad at us because we're spinning our wheels trying to get it fixed. Trust me, NO ONE is happy with these man, report them as you see them is all I can ask. And try to use the mobile skin to reduce their presence in your life

Kyle
    CometHunter likes this.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Must be my anti-Malware and pop-up protection i have installed on my 'puter. I'm not seeing any of this...

My Watchbox

Could very well be mikeyt_53. I also don't experience any of the pop ups either (knock on wood) and I don't have any adbllockers installed. I just use Chrome on my MacBook Air and so far, things have been fine. There are a lot of variables that could contribute to why some people get them worse than others (ie. what kind of device, what browser, what version of browser, geographical location/IP, etc.) It's definitely a frustrating situation for all parties involved! We appreciate everyone's patience with this situation, and hopefully all we be resolved soon.

Cheers,

Erik

My Watchbox

Mikey, I think it's primarily an Apple mobile device issue. My other Mac's with regular browsers don't experience the problem. I'll swap to the mobile skin on my IPad and see if it helps. And I'm not mad at you guys Kyle, I understand your position. Now if I could get my hands on the guys that write these malicious ad's! Why would anyone do that?
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by watchabit View Post
    Mikey, I think it's primarily an Apple mobile device issue. My other Mac's with regular browsers don't experience the problem. I'll swap to the mobile skin on my IPad and see if it helps. And I'm not mad at you guys Kyle, I understand your position. Now if I could get my hands on the guys that write these malicious ad's! Why would anyone do that?
    Because humans suck and I'm embarrassed to be one. No idea, they may like the chaos, the could get money out of it like a phishing scam, or maybe they think they're some bizarre cyber Robin Hood, making the worst ads in the hopes that all ads will go away

Kyle
    watchabit likes this.

Thread Information