Malware on WTF
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Malware on WTF

My Watchbox

Default Malware on WTF

Only on my IPad, I get the "you've won a $1000 wal-mart gift card" popup. Takes over the page. I can open another window and it'll go for a bit but that page will be attacked too. No other websites, I can surf fine anywhere else.
    I'm sure the ios needs updating but I was wondering why it's just on the wtf forum.
    Bill

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I'm not seeing it at all. Usually i would suggest you may need to run Malwarebytes on your IPad to rid yourself of the file that's triggering that stuff.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by watchabit View Post
    Only on my IPad, I get the "you've won a $1000 wal-mart gift card" popup. Takes over the page. I can open another window and it'll go for a bit but that page will be attacked too. No other websites, I can surf fine anywhere else.
    I'm sure the ios needs updating but I was wondering why it's just on the wtf forum.
    Bill
    THERE ABSOLUTELY IS malware on this message board. I have experienced the exact same occurrences related to THIS MESSAGE BOARD ONLY, AND NOWHERE ELSE. I’m getting malware redirection more and more frequently, when connecting to this site. The Watchtalk Forums are infected with malware, and someone needs to deal with it. I’m a retired I.T. Systems Engineer, who specialized in Cybersecurity. I was thinking of just quietly backing away from this site, but that wlould not be right without at least stating the obvious, and allowing the hosting team the chance to resolve these problems.

Sincerely,

Thomas Gaylor
    "There is nothing so fretting and vexatious, nothing so justly terrible to tyrants, and their tools and abettors, as a free press.” — Samuel Adams, 1768

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Example:

http://168.sedapmeesiam.gold/click/2...affid=IMB_RDL:

When transitioning to another sub-forum on WTF just now, I was redirected to the above URL.
    "There is nothing so fretting and vexatious, nothing so justly terrible to tyrants, and their tools and abettors, as a free press.” — Samuel Adams, 1768

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt_53 View Post
    I'm not seeing it at all. Usually i would suggest you may need to run Malwarebytes on your IPad to rid yourself of the file that's triggering that stuff.
    Mikey I'm sure an ios update on my ipad would prob remove said file, but it's a school ipad and it has to go back through their I.T. guys. I can deal with it by using my desktops until I get it updated.
    But I did want to let you know what I was experiencing in case it propagates or otherwise gets worse.
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

Administrator WTF Veteran administrator's Avatar

My Watchbox

Hey there,

It's on our end, not yours. There is an exploit with Apple devices and some site that's allowing the popups in. They sneak in through the regular communication that places regular ads here. We're working on it, and for the short term if you report the link that it takes you to, I can put a specific block so at least that link shouldn't come back.

This happens because malicious coders buying ad space from Google, Rubicon, and all manner of other providers, and writing ads that trigger those obnoxious redirects when you're on a desktop skin on a mobile device. It's why we have mobile skins. It's also not localized to us, it's a global ad issue, CNN, buzzfeed, msnbc, any site that uses these adsense type ads. We're trying to catch them as we get them

Here's an article on it if you want to read

https://adexchanger.com/publishers/f...oney-blocking/

One solution is to use enhanced mobile view (not available on IPads/only vBulletin sites) or use tapatalk.

Another is to turn off javascript if you're using safari, but this will make some functions not work. Settings > Safari > Advanced > Turn off Javascript

An apple user reported that they turned it off for a while and turned javascript back on and the pop-ups came up less.

Attachment 180185

Maybe give this a try and see how this goes?

Ed

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by watchabit View Post
    Mikey I'm sure an ios update on my ipad would prob remove said file, but it's a school ipad and it has to go back through their I.T. guys. I can deal with it by using my desktops until I get it updated.
    But I did want to let you know what I was experiencing in case it propagates or otherwise gets worse.
    The problems you are experiencing have nothing to do with your iPad.
    watchabit likes this.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Hey there,

It's on our end, not yours. There is an exploit with Apple devices and some site that's allowing the popups in. They sneak in through the regular communication that places regular ads here. We're working on it, and for the short term if you report the link that it takes you to, I can put a specific block so at least that link shouldn't come back.

This happens because malicious coders buying ad space from Google, Rubicon, and all manner of other providers, and writing ads that trigger those obnoxious redirects when you're on a desktop skin on a mobile device. It's why we have mobile skins. It's also not localized to us, it's a global ad issue, CNN, buzzfeed, msnbc, any site that uses these adsense type ads. We're trying to catch them as we get them

One solution is to use enhanced mobile view (not available on IPads/only vBulletin sites) or use tapatalk.

Another is to turn off javascript if you're using safari, but this will make some functions not work. Settings > Safari > Advanced > Turn off Javascript

An apple user reported that they turned it off for a while and turned javascript back on and the pop-ups came up less.

Attachment 180185

Ed

Thanks for the update.
    Spaceview M2 likes this.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Hey there,

Attachment 180185

Ed

Thanks for the update.

Edit: That’s a good article on the current state of adware based redirection of end users.

My Watchbox

Thanks much guys
    ThomG likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information