Accutron amateur, back on the hook!

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Accutron amateur, back on the hook!

Moderator WTF Full Member rollerberg2000's Avatar

My Watchbox

Default Accutron amateur, back on the hook!

Hello all,
    Glad to have found this forum!

I was a semi-serious collector back in the 80s and 90s, had a pretty good collection going (around 20+ or so), and lost interest around the same time my then wife lost interest in me...

At the end of 2017, I started digging through some of my old boxes and came across the only two Accutrons I had managed to keep.

Researching what it would take to get this one running led me to this forum:

20180119_092712.jpg

1974 Mickey Mouse 218 I've had since 1989 or so. I took it to one of the remaining Accutron watchmakers I knew to get it repaired and authenticated.

And now the monster is loose!

I've spent the past month looking for 214's and I'm quite shocked at what the prices are after having been out of the market for 20 years!

On the flip side, I did not have access to such a valuable resource as WTF back then, so I'm really enjoying the shared wisdom!

I'll be posting pics on this page as I find treasures, any comments or insight will be appreciated!

218 MM2.jpg

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Greetings Jeff. Glad to see you here. :-)

Eric
    rollerberg2000 likes this.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

(~Commercial Airline Mechanic "Retired"~)

My Watchbox

Welcome to the WTF. 1Emot4.jpg

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Nice Mickey! I know a guy who has 2 brand new factory original Mickey dialed movements. Haven’t been able to convince him to part with one.

My Watchbox

My "mission" for the last couple of months has been to replace a beloved Astronaut that mysteriously grew legs and left my desk years ago. I was in for some sticker shock to say the least.

I did manage to snag this one, not running.....
    20180122_124532.jpg
    Last edited by rollerberg2000; 01-23-2018 at 12:27 AM.

My Watchbox

The case back was very firmly adhered, it took some work too get it off. Lots of scratches on the movement, was surprised the ink was still present inside the case back!

Looking at some of the previous stickies regarding Astronauts, this would appear to be the silver "enhanced" dial with Dauphine radium markers. The minute hand has the "bent tip" indicating it is original and not a replacement.

Any info as to whether or not these components are correct would be appreciated!

20180122_163650.jpg
    Last edited by rollerberg2000; 01-23-2018 at 12:32 AM.

(~Commercial Airline Mechanic "Retired"~)

My Watchbox

Nice Astronaut "L"/w Silver Enhanced Dial.
    Astro L.jpg

The only thing I can see that may have been replaced at one time is the Astronuat 214HN pillar plate. Having observed these watches for awhile now, I am guessing that 30-40% of all astros selling out there don't have a correctly 214HN pillar plate. Some may have been replaced due to issues(battery corrosion etc), others may have not been installed at all with that stamping and I know of some circumstances where sadly, they were removed and swapped out with regular Stamped 214 pillar plates by repair persons looking to keep the best parts out of your watch without you knowing it. 214HN pillar plates are very hard to come by so the reasons why not all Astros come with that correct stamping are numerous. That being said, I don't see your pillar plate stamped 241HN. It may be and I can't see the HN stamping which many times is 'faint' an hard to see. Other then that it looks pretty correct for that model watch (dial,hands etc).

***Note: 214HN Pillar Plates are unique to accutron Astronauts only. Also, there are kits out there to make any 214 movement work properly in an Astronaut watch.

214HN Stamped Pillar Plate example:
    2.jpg

Your Pillar Plate:
    ggg.jpg

My Watchbox

Thank you very much for your insight!
    I learned about the "HN" designation only recently while looking for an Astro.
    Who knows, maybe even the one I had years ago was a retrofit???

I would not say I'm devastated to learn it's not the original movement. I'm sure I will enjoy it regardless.

I wore it all day with no battery, I was just happy having an Astronaut on my wrist!

Just a few hours ago, I went to my stash:

387 mercury 1.35v.jpg

Well over 20 years ago, when our benevolent govmt decided Accutron (mercury oxide) batteries would topple civilization as we know it, I snatched up all of these batteries I could get my hands on.

Lo, all these years since, I've managed to hang on to them, transferring them from one refrigerator to the next as if safeguarding embroyos for future generations.

Would you believe this old Astro jumped right to life and (so far) is keeping time?

And don't berate me, I have seen on this forum that is a sacriledge, you should NOT install a battery on a watch with unknown service record, but I could not help myself!!!!!

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Rollerberg wrote, "....transferring them from one refrigerator to the next as if safeguarding embroyos for future generations."

You're our best hope, for humanity!

Eric
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

My Watchbox

Good job Rollerberg! Damn good bracelet too. I would've popped one of those batteries in, in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information