16 Sep 2017 Financil Times - They Published My Letter About the Accutron 214

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Like Tree11Likes
  • 11 Post By Stu3

Thread: 16 Sep 2017 Financil Times - They Published My Letter About the Accutron 214

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Default 16 Sep 2017 Financil Times - They Published My Letter About the Accutron 214

Guys: Last week the FT had big article in the "Style Guide" about vintage watches but they left out the 214. I wrote them a short note to mention their omission and the published my letter today in the "Letter to the Editor". I'm quite chuffed! Here is what I wrote - in case you are not an FT reader.

Sir: I enjoyed the article on vintage watches (9 Sep 2017 FT Style Guide) but you missed one of the best watches of the 1960s! The Bulova Accutron (214) was a technical marvel that used a battery to drive a tuning fork for unprecedented accuracy. Accutron 214s came in many styles that met every occasion (casual, dressy or sporty) and were built to last. The Accutron Astronaut was worn by real astronauts, X15 pilots, actors (Kirk Douglas - 1964 - Seven Days in May) and Elvis Presley. US President LBJ declared the Accutron to be the official "Gift of State" in 1964. My two vintage 214s (one inherited from my father) are examples of engineering excellence and great design. A serviced and calibrated 214 movement is still capable of meeting (or beating) the original standard of +- 1 minute/month. A shame you left this iconic watch out of the story.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Nice job Stu!

Eric
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

My Watchbox

Well done for keeping the Accutron spirit alive

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

For he's a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us.
    Garry

My Watchbox

Excellent - WELL DONE!!
    Cordially, -Burgs

Thread Information