Affordable Watch Suggestions
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By kivis
  • 1 Post By mikeyt_53

Thread: Affordable Watch Suggestions

My Watchbox

Default Affordable Watch Suggestions

Good Morning and Happy Father's Day to those to whom it applies.

Several years ago, I purchased a Ball Hydrocarbon. I had it sized for my wrist but realized that it was too big for my taste. This particular watch is huge, by my standards. Also, I am reluctant to wear it because of the cost to me. I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

In the meantime, I am in need of a good chronometer. I would like something that is a little smaller than the Ball and that has good luminescence to the dial. My price ceiling would be a little better than $500.00. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your response,

Dennis

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I'm not familiar with the Ball Hydrocarbon so what do you consider a good size for your wrist. 40mm? 45mm

My Watchbox

40mm, most likely. The Ball is also very thick from crystal to back cover. Not to mention my fear of scratching or otherwise lessening the value of an almost three grand timepiece.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

My Watchbox

Luminox or Lum tec comes to mind, probably cheaper as well.

My Watchbox

Seiko Sarbs, Hamilton Khaki Field, Victorinox Officers, Sorry to say Chronometers don't come so cheap but a reputable High grade Quartz Watch is also great.

My Watchbox

I love my Ball watches, but I just got a $30 Timex with a gaggle of NATO straps. Lot's of fun.

mikeyt_53, Hawk53 and cottontop like this.
    kivis, Watch Guy

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Nothing wrong with a basic Timex. It keeps time just as well as most other watches.
    cottontop likes this.

My Watchbox

Are you asking about a chronometer which is a high precision and accuracy timepiece, or a chronograph, which adds a stopwatch complication to the timepiece?

Chronographs:
    A true chronometer is going to be expensive as you'll be paying for its testing and certification to chronometer standards. For the purpose of my answer, I'm presuming your asking about a chronograph. Mechanical chronographs also tend to be expensive because of their complexity. A quartz would put you easily in your price limit. I recommend a 1/20th second Seiko with 7T92 movement inside. The movement is robust and reliable. Seiko has many models using that same movement giving you much to choose from. The price points one them vary with case, bracelet and crystal materials. I do not recommend the 7T62 alarm chronograph. Setting the alarm and resetting the time on it is cumbersome due to the alarm feature (which is pretty much useless). I have a 7T92 and have been very happy with it. Photo below. Date is getting ready to change when I took the photo so it's already starting to move. It's just one example of many 7T92. The nice feature is the 1/20th second in the top subdial, and the bottom subdial accumulates minutes and hours up to 12 hours. Left subdial is the normal timepiece seconds hand.

Seiko Quartz Chrono SNDD97P1 Wrist 1024.jpg

Chronometers:
    If you're really after a chronometer - a precision timepiece with high accuracy, the most affordable for you would be a High Accuracy Quartz (HAQ). Quartz accuracy runs circles around the mechanical chronometers. The most affordable are the Bulova in their Precisionist, aka Accutron II, aka UHF lineup. Bulova has changed the lineup name on them several times now. The movement uses a 262 kHz three prong quartz crystal oscillator, which is 8x then frequency of the standard 32 kHz quartz watch oscillator. This allows for a accuracy about 10 times that of the average quartz watch. Bulova originally claimed +/- 5 seconds per year, but had to walk that back. In reality they get, on average, +/- 15 seconds per year, as compared to +/- 15-20 seconds per month for a good 32 kHz quartz. I've got three of the Bulova. Two are Accutron II, and one is a Precisionist. Batteries in these typically last a few months longer than 3 years. There is no battery end of life warning, though. These may not be in production now, but various Precisionist and Accutron II models can still be found new. They came in a range of styles. Google for them. I believe Bulova now has Precisionist chronographs and you may want to look at them.

John

Bulova Accutron II Snorkel.jpg

Moonview Accutron II.jpg

Bulova Champlain Precisionist.jpg

Thread Information