Buying vintage Bulova's/Accutrons - Page 2
 
Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Buying vintage Bulova's/Accutrons

  1. #11
    Guest WTF Veteran
    (My Holy Grail, The Benrus Sky Chief)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    King Of Queens, NY
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,824

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMKIIDub View Post
    SO, I've been on a vintage kick later and have been looking up 50's and newer Longines, Omegas and Hamiltons.

    However, I seem to be finding vintage Bulovas to be where the real deal lies.

    Now, clearly, I must be missing something. How can I pretty gem like that be selling for so cheap? Even ones bidding don't seem to be commanding a sizeable amount. Yet any vintage Hamilton, Longines and Omegas are easily fetching from $300 and much much more.

    Now I know nothing about buying vintage watches, or where to get them. I was just using Ebay as an example.
    I ran into the same problem when I got on the vintage kick.

    I wanted to specialise in Hamiltons which are my favorite brand, but I also found them to be abit expensive, more so than the other American manufacturers like Bulova. I quickly found out that a decent collection of Hamiltons was going to run into some serious cash! Then I stumbled on a watch I remembered from my youth, Benrus, and I found these to be a great value and it was a company that I could relate to somewhat because they were made in NYC. They are relatively cheap on the vintage market, and I even find them to be fancier than most Hamilton's.

    So I guess the moral of the story is to go with a brand and company you can identify with, and also one that you can afford!

    But I'll end with a question - what makes the Hamiltons so much more than say Bulova or Benrus? Company reputation, quality, better movements etc?

  2. #12
    Banned WTF Veteran
    (Be faithful to one woman. Have flings with hundreds of watches. ™)

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ (no, it does not smell here)
    Age
    54
    Posts
    28,407

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ham X Guy View Post
    But I'll end with a question - what makes the Hamiltons so much more than say Bulova or Benrus? Company reputation, quality, better movements etc?
    It's part reputation, and demand plays a factor in that. Hamiltons are built like tanks - I recall a quote by the President of the company in the 50's that said they make their watches to last two or three hundred years. Now that may be a bit of an exaggeration in the interest of marketing, but they are well made. The swiss made movements used in the 60's are far less expensive...but far less desired by serious Hamilton buffs in turn. Are they less expensive because the demand is less? Probably! 15 years ago Omega wasn't nearly as popular - only recently did Omegamania become infectious. If you're asking me if Bulova is one of the best buys for a new vintage collector, you may get a slightly biased opinion!

  3. #13
    WTF Full Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    155

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Bulova was a stellar company in the 40s, 50s 60s and 70s, though good how they've reinvented the company today. I know a guy who worked for Bulova starting in the 40s. Had nothing but good things to say about how the company was when "Mr. Bulova" ran it. The moral and quality was high because he was a good owner who rewarded good work.
    Company quickly went downhill after a corporate entity bought it. They stopped production of the tuning fork Accutron and destroyed all the equipment that made the parts (incase you're wondering why coils, etc are so hard to get today). A lot of parts were tossed out.

  4. #14
    Guest WTF Veteran
    (My Holy Grail, The Benrus Sky Chief)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    King Of Queens, NY
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,824

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    Bulova was a stellar company in the 40s, 50s 60s and 70s, though good how they've reinvented the company today. I know a guy who worked for Bulova starting in the 40s. Had nothing but good things to say about how the company was when "Mr. Bulova" ran it. The moral and quality was high because he was a good owner who rewarded good work.
    Company quickly went downhill after a corporate entity bought it. They stopped production of the tuning fork Accutron and destroyed all the equipment that made the parts (incase you're wondering why coils, etc are so hard to get today). A lot of parts were tossed out.
    The seventies really was the end of America's great manufacturing era, not only for watches, but for just about everything. Japan was to the seventies and eighties what China is today.

    I have a DVD made by Hamilton Watch Co. from the 50's, and it is amazing, not only for showing how much research, development, and manhours went into the watches they made, but for how many people worked in there factory producing those great timepieces! It is sad to see how many jobs the watch industry once had and are now gone. Bulova also employed many people to produce there watches, and now there old factory which is only 10 minutes drive from me, is nothing but a corporate center for the Bulova conglomerate.

    Heck, if a Budweiser isn't American anymore, why should I expect to see a truly American made timepiece anymore? Very sad....:rolleyes:

  5. #15
    Banned WTF Veteran
    (Be faithful to one woman. Have flings with hundreds of watches. ™)

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ (no, it does not smell here)
    Age
    54
    Posts
    28,407

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ham X Guy View Post

    Heck, if a Budweiser isn't American anymore, why should I expect to see a truly American made timepiece anymore? Very sad....:rolleyes:

    RGM! They just developed their own in-house caliber, and are made in the same town that was home to Hamilton - Lancaster, PA. They're very high on my wish list, and I've already gotten an invitation to tour the plant when I go to order my watch.

    ....and on a side note, Yuengling is also a Philadelphia area product. Throw cheesesteaks & soft pretzels in and you have everything a man needs.

  6. #16
    WTF Veteran


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    1,118

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ham X Guy View Post
    I have a DVD made by Hamilton Watch Co. from the 50's, and it is amazing.

    Heck, if a Budweiser isn't American anymore, why should I expect to see a truly American made timepiece anymore? Very sad....:rolleyes:
    Hamilton was making DVD's in the '50's? Wow, ahead of their time.

    I agree about the Budweiser.

  7. #17
    WTF Full Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    155

    My Watchbox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    RGM! They just developed their own in-house caliber, and are made in the same town that was home to Hamilton - Lancaster, PA. They're very high on my wish list, and I've already gotten an invitation to tour the plant when I go to order my watch.
    And they make some really cool watches using beautifully restored old Hamilton movements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

ShowCase, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.