Help identifying vintage Omega and Longines
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EPjunni

Thread: Help identifying vintage Omega and Longines

My Watchbox

Default Help identifying vintage Omega and Longines

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me with some info on these 2 watches I'm looking at. Been trying to find info online but haven't had much luck yet. I'm curious about the model name, any history of the model, age, any guesses on value.

1) 1940's Longines. Pretty minimal in terms of markings. No idea what the model would be. Haven't seen any other Longines online or otherwise with this green colour dial (not sure if it's originally green or faded to that colour). Signed crown Longines + logo. Caseback reads Longines; waterproof; antimagnetic; shock absorber; swiss made. Engraved on mechanism: Longines; Swiss; 17 jewels; 9809592(?); 12.68Zs. Inside casebook reads: acier; inoxydable; fab Suisse; Swiss made; 6264 14; 262. All original as far as I know.

IMG_20160613_245058377_HDR.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket
    IMG_20160613_245247467_HDR.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket
    IMG_20160613_245522791_HDR.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket
    IMG_20160613_245546392_HDR.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket
    IMG_20160613_245224730_HDR_1.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket

2) 1950's(?) Omega. Sub-dial seconds. Outer casebook blank. Inside caseback reads: acier staybrite; Omega watch co; fab. Suisse; Swiss made; 2639-12. Crown signed with a "B", non-original? Mechanism reads: Omega; Swiss; 17 jewels; (Omega symbol) 266; 13477917. This one appears pretty similar to some models of the Omega Suveran, however doesn't say Suveran anywhere. I believe the Suverans were sold in Sweden. This watch came from Finland, pretty close proximity to Sweden so could have made it there somehow.

IMG_20160613_244517392_HDR.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket
    IMG_20160613_244652194.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket
    IMG_20160613_011242432_HDR.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket
    IMG_20160613_011447621_HDR.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket
    IMG_20160613_244610455_HDR.jpg Photo by leijona88 | Photobucket

Any info would be much appreciated! Thank you

Super Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

With Longines its fairly simple to find out their history by going to the Longines website, registering with them & submitting the movement serial# as per this post.

My Watchbox

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchTalkForums.info
    Advertisements

My Watchbox

A very beautiful Longines from 1955 (approximately) with a high grade and very good looking movement. I can't tell the color of the dial and whether it's patina or original because of the photos. Back in the day Longines had no names for these watches but were known by a number or a reference code written on the case/case back.
    I would say it's definitely worth a few hundred dollars... Maybe 300-500$ roughly. Could go higher but not sure...

The Omega is from the 50s I think but it could be slightly older, maybe late 40s. The crown is without a doubt a replacement and I can't remember what brand it belongs to. 266 is actually the name of the caliber (the movement) and it looks good.
    This watch should be more expensive than Longines by about 200$ or so but due to its condition might sell for price close to the Longines. It needs quite a bit of work. I think the minute hand has been relumed while the hour one might not have been since it left the factory (or many decades ago...).

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by dragcolo View Post
    A very beautiful Longines from 1955 (approximately) with a high grade and very good looking movement. I can't tell the color of the dial and whether it's patina or original because of the photos. Back in the day Longines had no names for these watches but were known by a number or a reference code written on the case/case back.
    I would say it's definitely worth a few hundred dollars... Maybe 300-500$ roughly. Could go higher but not sure...

The Omega is from the 50s I think but it could be slightly older, maybe late 40s. The crown is without a doubt a replacement and I can't remember what brand it belongs to. 266 is actually the name of the caliber (the movement) and it looks good.
    This watch should be more expensive than Longines by about 200$ or so but due to its condition might sell for price close to the Longines. It needs quite a bit of work. I think the minute hand has been relumed while the hour one might not have been since it left the factory (or many decades ago...).
    Thanks for your thoughts!

I contacted Longines and here's the response I got:

"The original serial number 9'809'592 identifies a wristwatch in stainless steel bearing the reference 6264. It is fitted with a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 12.68ZS. It was invoiced on 24 June 1957 to the company Terrasse, which was at that time our agent for Sweden."
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

On your Omega, the crown is from a Breitling watch....definitely not original!

For watch values, go to eBay's ADVANCED page and look at COMPLETED LISTINGS. Try to find one that looks similar to yours. It's not the most accurate value indicator, but it gives you an idea of what others are willing to pay for a like watch.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

Thread Information