Who remembers Bulova Time...Some Bulova Firsts

Winner of the Bulova-Accutron-Caravelle Masthead Contest
AWF_01_1

Thread: Who remembers Bulova Time...Some Bulova Firsts

Banned WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Default Who remembers Bulova Time...Some Bulova Firsts

...after the nations first ever radio campaign started in 1926, Bulova ran the first commercial ever on television.

info from "the watch guy"

1926 Bulova produces the nation's first ever radio spot commercial, "At the tone, its 8 PM, B-U-L-O-V-A Bulova watch time."

1941 Continuing its tradition of advertising firsts, Bulova airs the first television commercial: a simple picture of a clock and a map of the United States, with a voice-over proclaiming, "America runs on Bulova time." 1941 also marks the year that the Bulova Board of Directors adopts a resolution to manufacture products for national defense at actual cost. Throughout World War II, having perfected the skill of creating precision timepieces, Arde Bulova, Joseph's son, works with the U.S. government to produce military watches, specialized timepieces, aircraft instruments, critical torpedo mechanisms and fuses.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by scottw44 View Post
    ...after the nations first ever radio campaign started in 1926, Bulova ran the first commercial ever on television.

info from "the watch guy"

1926 Bulova produces the nation's first ever radio spot commercial, "At the tone, its 8 PM, B-U-L-O-V-A Bulova watch time."

1941 Continuing its tradition of advertising firsts, Bulova airs the first television commercial: a simple picture of a clock and a map of the United States, with a voice-over proclaiming, "America runs on Bulova time." 1941 also marks the year that the Bulova Board of Directors adopts a resolution to manufacture products for national defense at actual cost. Throughout World War II, having perfected the skill of creating precision timepieces, Arde Bulova, Joseph's son, works with the U.S. government to produce military watches, specialized timepieces, aircraft instruments, critical torpedo mechanisms and fuses.
    Bulova was an early radio advertiser but the first radio "spot" was in 1922 on WEAF radio in NYC. It was a 10 minute spot for the Queensboro Corporation, selling apartment rentals in Jackson Heights. WEAF later became WNBC, one of the flagship stations of the NBC radio networks. Yup, NBC ran two networks, the red and blue. The other was based across the Hudson River in Jersey until the Feds made RCA divest itself of one of them.

Banned WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Thanx Rusty...very interesting news for a kid that grew up in NY, and drove past the Bulova Building for years.

Interesting to know about the apt's in Jackson Heights...great info!!!

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Im not sure why,but it does sound familiar

Thanks for the history lesson/memories guys

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Frontierman63 View Post
    Im not sure why,but it does sound familiar

Thanks for the history lesson/memories guys

I'm 45 years old too, but I have a hard time remembering 1941. :D

Thread Information