Widespread problem with automatic watches? - Page 2

WINNER OF THE BALL WATCH PHOTO COMPETITION

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Widespread problem with automatic watches?

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetchief View Post
    I assume not. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree...I will go one step further and noted that it have never been a widespread anything with Ball other that, they are superbly made....
    Glad it was resolved!
    "Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe"

WTF Veteran
    (Of all the watches I have had... Not one Omega has ever been bad!��)

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
    Well, I don't know if the watch stopped because of not enough wrist movement or a defect. Neither of my Rolexes nor my Croton ever stopped, unless I hadn't worn them for some time or they were overdue for service. The instruction manual for my BALL says to turn the watch crown clockwise 20 to 30 times if the watch has not been worn for a long period of time. That's what I did at the jeweler's when I purchased the watch. The manual also states that manual winding is only necessary if the watch has not been worn for a long period of time, or if it has stopped.

Okay, I don't walk the high iron or use a jackhammer, but I think my wrist movement should be sufficient to keep it going. As to sleeping, I do, but I am sometimes restless. At times, I wake up in the morning only to find my teddy bear on the floor. At this point, I'll just have to wait and see what BALL says, since they have the watch.

I was thinking the following, although I could be wrong. The watch could run okay if it is wound manually, but there could still be something wrong with the automatic function. If the watch doesn't pass the test you suggest, then there is definitely something wrong. If it passes that test, couldn't there still be something wrong with the automatic function? I guess a way to test that would be a watch winder, but I don't have one--never needed one.

There was nothing to take the wrong way. I thank you for your comments.
    I have had 2 Ball Watches and regularly had to hand wind them to keep them running. The only watches I have ever kept running just by wearing are my 2 Orient Star Watches. They are the most efficiently running automatic watches I have ever had. I just accept that I need to leave my auto's on a winder or hand wind them every few days. Maybe I am just not active enough!

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Default have to wind the watc

I am wearing my fathers Seiko Weekdater from around 1961-2, it runs nearly flawlessly, have to set the time once a week to the tune of about a minute, but otherwise a great watch. In this day and age, I would not spend thousands on a wristwatch unless I wanted to impress someone, between the money you pay to buy them and the money you spend to service them every 3-5 years is truly ridiculous and the down time!!!!, you might as well buy a few old Timex's and rotate them.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by diver View Post
    I have had 2 Ball Watches and regularly had to hand wind them to keep them running. The only watches I have ever kept running just by wearing are my 2 Orient Star Watches. They are the most efficiently running automatic watches I have ever had. I just accept that I need to leave my auto's on a winder or hand wind them every few days. Maybe I am just not active enough!
    I have two Rolex watches, and recently tested each to see how long they would run if wound manually and left sitting on a table. Each one ran for 50 hours. One was purchased new in 1971 ($200!) and the other is probably from 1990 something. The watch I bought in 1984 for about $2500 got switched while being serviced, and I didn't notice that the serial number on the service tag didn't match the watch for many moons. There have been no issues with my Croton or the Rolexes running just from the motion of my wrist, unless they were overdue for service. I don't switch back and forth between watches except when one is out for service, and I wear the watch 24/7. I had an Omega chronograph for a rather brief period of time. The chronograph part didn't work properly, even after numerous attempts at repair. I got my money back, after a judge told the store to do it.

I think Rolexes are priced ridiculously high these days, and whether you can read the time in the dark is problematical. That's important to me.
    Engineer II Red Label 40mm COSC, stainless steel bracelet.

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
    I have two Rolex watches, and recently tested each to see how long they would run if wound manually and left sitting on a table. Each one ran for 50 hours. One was purchased new in 1971 ($200!)
    A 71 Rolex with a 50 hours PR??? you are a lucky fellow indeed .... even brand new back in 1971, the 1570/5 movement series fitted to Rolex at the time, had a top power reserve of 48 hours. (slightly less in real life)
    Care to share a pic of your watch?
    "Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe"

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by eddiea View Post
    A 71 Rolex with a 50 hours PR??? you are a lucky fellow indeed .... even brand new back in 1971, the 1570/5 movement series fitted to Rolex at the time, had a top power reserve of 48 hours. (slightly less in real life)
    Care to share a pic of your watch?
    Here is a recent photograph of the Rolex I purchased new in 1971 for about $200. I think the closest equivalent today sells for over $5,000. No date, no day, no gold trim. Good grief!
    Attached Images

My Watchbox

Default End of the line

Here's the brief story. Bought watch in February. It kept good time, but stopped running in April. Sent to BALL for service. Received watch back from BALL in June. Timekeeping was not good. Watch stopped running in September. Sent to BALL for service. Received watch back from BALL in mid-November. Timekeeping was not good. I gave the watch a full manual wind when I received it back from BALL and also around the end of November. It stopped running in mid-December. Jeweler (an AD who is a sponsor on this forum), gave me a full refund.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran CometHunter's Avatar
    (I'm having a good day. Don't screw it up!)

My Watchbox

I don't hear many tales of that kind of problem with the ETA movements that Ball uses, or their customer service! While my own minor irritation with Ball is well documented elsewhere (after all, I was its second owner) I couldn't fault their c.s.
    I'm sorry to hear of this.
    -Bill

WTF Administration Team
    The Hamilton Forum
    The Beginner's Watch Forum
    The *Original* Invicta Forum

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Ball > Rolex.

Lume tubes rule! :)

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

[QUOTE=CometHunter;929417] ...ETA 2824-2 movement. From the dead position the rotor has have roughly 700 full rotations to be considered fully wound. QUOTE]

Good info CometHunter, I didn't realize that number. Recently I read a great book by Barry Marcus, titled Watches I have Known, and if I recall he writes about the problem of customers complaining that their self-winding watches mysteriously stop sometimes. He describes the same situation mentioned in this thread, that the watch simply isn't wound enough. If you have a sedate job, sitting many hours throughout the day instead of walking, then there will be a unwinding deficit. (Not certain if I said that correctly)

By the way, I recommend the book for anyone interested in horology. A great read.

Eric
    CometHunter likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information