WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Glycine

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  oak1971 
#1 ·
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Any interest here in Glycine watches? I currently own three and have one on the way. The one pictured is the GL0083. I especially like the Combat Sub models in 42mm. At first, I debated even ordering one of the Combat Subs as I thought 42mm would just be too big. Well, I was wrong. I have a 6 3/4" wrist and I prefer 38mm and under in most watches. That may account for my interest in vintage as they are generally on the smaller side. Anyway, the 42mm Glycine Combat Sub fits great. The dial itself is around 31mm excluding the bezel so the whole thing looks larger. Add to that the curved down lugs and it hugs and fits my wrist just fine. There are lots of different color combos to choose from. Sadly, I need to stop this Glycine buying before I go bankrupt.
Joe

See less See more
#6 ·
I think that Glycine has suffered from poor brand recognition & sales over the last 20+ yrs and that Invicta saw an opportunity to buy a known brand name at a good price and bring it under their group umbrella. Although i believe it is being operated separately from Invicta, there is no doubt that Invicta management has a hand in their new designs and i dont think that is a good thing for Glycine. I suspect the last thing Glycines reputation needs is being forced to put their name on some of the tasteless oversized fashion watches that Invicta produces. Seeing Glycines in an Invicta outlet store may generate some additional sales though but i think only at the expense of Invicta. All that said, probably only about 5% of watch buyers out there would have known that Glycine was owned by Invicta or that Omega was owned by Swatch so it may not matter in the long run.

#7 ·
Nice looking sub. My penchant is for the 24-hr and GMT Airman line. I've got this SST 12 GMT, and a 42 Purist homage to the original AM/PM is on the way. I've been exceptionally pleased with it. Has an ETA 2893-2 inside and the build is excellent. The original SST was a 24 hour like the original AM/PM with an orange dial . . . referred to as the Pumpkin. It was released by Glycine in the mid-1960's to celebrate the forthcoming Boeing 2707 SST - to compete with the Concorde and the Soviet TU-144. The Boeing program was canceled after only a mockup was built. Commercial SSTs were not destined to become mainstream. IIRC 16 Concorde and 14 Tupelov were built. The Soviets only flew one of theirs on 55 commercial flights before grounding them all. The Concorde flew across the Atlantic for decades, but it was more a bucket list check mark and prestige than practical transportation. The Glycine SST soldiered on to 1978 when Glycine started making quartz watches. Back has a deeply etched image of the Boeing 2707. The original AM/PM and SST were among the favorites of USAF, USN and Marine pilots during the Vietnam War.

John

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Everyday carry

Watch Clock Material property Font Watch accessory

Photo of the gray dial Airman 42 Purist that's en route. Second crown locks down the rotating bezel in 1/4 hour increments with a simple toothed clamp. The original AM/PM was released in 1953, a year before the Rolex GMT, and it was made specifically for pilots after the company president had a conversation with the crew on an overseas flight asking what they wanted in a wristwatch. The original was 36mm diameter with 24-hour movement and dial and the same kind of clamp to lock down a bezel ring showing a 2nd time zone. It also had a funky hacking feature that stopped the second hand; very few watches in 1953 had a hacking feature. Like the SST, this has an ETA 2893-2 under the dial, with a very simple mod to eliminate the GMT hand and convert the 12-hour hand to a 24-hour.

Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Clock Silver

#9 ·
Well, apparently the sale didn't have too much effect if you're making that comment now, and the sale of the company happened five whole years ago! The press release was made public back in August of 2016

Reactions: diver
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.