WATCH TALK FORUMS - REVIEW: The Glycine Airman SST Chronograph>>>>>>>>>>
  • REVIEW: The Glycine Airman SST Chronograph>>>>>>>>>>

Review of the Glycine Airman SST Chronograph
    By: John B. Holbrook, II
    9/12/11

Glycine is really impressing me with their ability to channel the DNA of their past, and embedding it into their current designs to create fresh, classic looking watches that don't look like their simply bowing to retro fads. You'll recall that earlier this year I reviewed the Glycine Airman Base 22 - throwback to the Airman of the 1950's. Recently I had the opportunity to review the Glycine Airman SST Chronograph - a very contemporary looking watch with a decidedly 1960's feel.

This particular variation of the Airman SST Chronograph is the Reference 3902.186-LBN9. This variant features a unique, almost gradient-like dial which starts off black at 12 o'clock, and shifts to a midnight-blue color from about the center point of the dial, going down to 6 o'clock called a "blue dégradé" - an effect I don't recall ever seeing before on a watch. The color scheme looks quite striking with the orange inner 24 hour bezel and the red 24 hour "GMT" hand. The dial is protected by a sapphire crystal which has an anti-reflective coating applied. The color shift is subtle and I found it difficult to capture photographically, but it's really neat to look at when you're wearing the watch.

The 43mm stainless steel case (water resistant to 10atm or 100m) of the Airman SST Chronograph is a C-Case design which harkens back to the mid to late 1960's. It features an attractive brushed finish on top, and a polished finish on the sides. The contemporary case size blended with the vintage C-Case design makes for an a very attractive watch case:

The Airman SST Chronograph features a solid stainless steel, screw-down case back with an an attractive engraving which celebrates the heritage of the Glycine Airman, and its historical association in the field of aviation:

Between the 22mm case lugs of the Airman SST Chronograph is luxurious and handsome leather strap with gorgeous blue stitching which coordinates wonderfully with the blue portion of the watch dial. The strap is held together on the wrist utilizes a simple case matching polished stainless steel buckle, signed by Glycine:

Inside the case of the Airman SST Chronograph is an ETA 7754 - a variant of the famed ETA 7750 chronograph movement, which adds a central GMT hand module to the ETA 7750 movement. The ETA 7754 is a self-winding mechanical movement with 25 jewels, a power reserve of 46 hours, and a balance wheel which oscillates at a beat speed of 28,800 BPH (beats per hour). As a fan of mechanical watches, as much as I'd love to see an in-house chronograph movement in the Airman SST Chronograph, using the proven and economical ETA 7754 as the engine is a hard choice to argue with.

The Glycine Airman SST Chronograph is another handsome and fun addition to Glycine's catalog that's worthy of carrying the famous "Airman" name. The retail price of the Glycine Airman SST Chronograph (Reference 3902.186-LBN9) is $5,025.00. The Glycine brand name is perhaps less well known among fans of aviation themed luxury mechanical watches, but clearly Glycine is making a strong effort to change that with some of the latest Airman models they've produced. If you haven't recently, do check out Glycine - you'll like what you see.

**Photos & Text Copyright 2011 WATCH TALK FORUMS. No part of this report can be reproduced outside of WATCH TALK FORUMS without the expressed permission of John B. Holbrook, II.
    rafy1 likes this.
  • Sponsors