WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Did Longines ever produced such an ugliness?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Baunataler 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Another one here:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/LONGINES-ANT...138302205?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20dc7f94fd

I didn't know there were wristwatches in 1887. Well.. as far as I know, wristwatches started to appear at the end of 19th century but they were not that popular until the 1930s. According to "Wristwatches: 100 years of development history": "In 1925, 66% of Switzerland's export of watches were pocket watches, and only one third were wristwatches. Within 10 years - so, by 1935 - only 33% were pocket watches."

#3 ·
They're frankenwatches.

The way I'm reading the seller's ad, Longines just made the movement (for the first watch). And it was for a pocket watch. The dial and case were made much more recently and there is no indication they were produced by Longines.

Watch #2 is located in the Ukraine and it's reasonable to assume, looking at its condition, the same applies here as in the first example. They're just too darned BIG to be 90+ year-old wrist watches.

Baunataler said:
I didn't know there were wristwatches in 1887
Kaiser Wilhelm ordered 2,000 Girard-Perregaux wrist watches for his navy in 1880
Source: Wikipedia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.