WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

First vintage

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  pr1uk 
#1 ·
After dozens of tries (not serious ones) I finally won an auction for a vintage Swiss watch. Not my first choice, but well within what I want to pay at the moment. Watch Analog watch Photograph Light Clock

This pic is from the auction, I'll post pics when I receive it in a few weeks.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
If this Favre-Leuba is a hand-wind, then it probably has a Caliber 253 movement. In my opinion, this is one of the nicest affordable hand-wind movements ever made. Completely in-house, made by the little Favre-Leuba elves their own selves. I'm sure I'm right--the only other Sea King I've seen the insides of had a 253, and the F-L automatics of this time all had date windows, and the Caliber 1152 that was based on the AS1687 with autowinding by a consortium of F-L, Doxa, G-P, Eberhard, and Zodiac.

The movement has two mainspring barrels mounted primarily on base-plate studs, with the bridge just providing some alignment (and with jewels just because the bridge is so thin)--it packs a lot of power in a small place and the watch when cleaned will run 48 hours. The top winding bridge serves as the spring cover, and the movement is really quite thin--desirable in those days. The balance is hung from a full balance bridge that is nevertheless held in place with one screw. It's a clever design, very thin, and exceptionally easy to service--all screws are the same size and the screw holes show excellent decouverture for easy alignment. Most of these were plated in gold, with nice anglage on the bridges. They all have a Glucydur balance and show quite fine finishing for a day-to-day watch from the 60's. This movement would have been quite happy in some much higher-end brands by today's standards.

Here's mine:

And the Cal. 253:

(Picture: Ranfft)

The dial on yours one looks original and not suffering from the usual severe Mumbaitis. I like the hands on your better than mine.

Mine is circa 1965, not a Sea King, but with the same cal. 253. It's nice, thin and winds like butter. It's also accurate.

Wear it in good health.

Rick "for whom one of these was an easy sub-C-note must-have" Denney

#9 · (Edited)
Got it today. Dang this thing is small. Don't think I'll be wearing it much because of it's size. I do have another one coming, hope it's a bit larger. The Invicta shown here is 42mm. Watch Analog watch Light Clock Font

And yes Rick, it is a hand wind. You pic of the movement looks like the one in the ebay posting of mine.

#14 ·
Never heard of Favre Leuba before but after looking up their history and seeing the prices and i like smaller watches i have just committed to buying one today it's the Sea King and as it says the older 101 movement. Should arrive sometime this week as it is from the UK mind you if Favre Leuba watches were any good why are they so cheap, oh well nothing ventured nothing gained as they say

#16 ·
Favre-Leubas are very nice watches, but their value is undermined by the many crappy examples being sold out of India. A good one with an original dial would have been a watch of solid quality back in the day. They suffer from obscurity, mostly. Nobody will buy one to give historical gravitas to their collection of newer models, as they would with current brands.

Rick "for whom the obscurity adds to the story value" Denney

#20 ·
Well i got this one today a standard Sea King with the Twin Barrow 253 movement

View attachment 39506
View attachment 39514
View attachment 39498

So cheap i thought why not
Congratulations and wear it in good health. This one looks like it's in original condition. It was Roland Ranfft that turned me on to that movement--a really elegant and effective design in an affordable watch. Plate it in rhodium instead of gold and cover it with cotes de Geneve and it would give many high-end pieces a run for their money.

Rick "who read, somewhere, a period article by a guy from the British Horological Society who introduced this movement with high praise" Denney

#21 ·
Sadly the face looks like a Bombay special on close inspection the hour markers are not quite in alignment in all places it was very cheap so i should have wondered why, never mind. The movement seems OK but the face is just not right still you pay for what you get don't think i will try this brand again as there are just too many played with ones about getting a real original must be hard. Keeping fairly good time and it is a pretty little watch oh well i will not try and pass it on and maybe one of the grandchildren may end up with it one day

#22 · (Edited)
Been offered this one as a replacement after seller could see the errors on the last watch face not been offer a refund as he said he bought in good faith and for what i paid i am not going to make a mountain out of a moles hill.

Watch Analog watch Clock Nickel Font
Watch Brown Analog watch White Light

My first and i think my only venture into Favre Leula

UPDATE
Both watches are from Bombay and both rubbish still luckily i only paid a small amount so i will put that down to one of life's smaller mistake's.

#23 ·
Refund well never expected that -- anyway i have a bet on with a mate to pick up a wind up watch for under £40 including postage no idea what he as got as yet but i quickly picked up a Baume no not a posh Baume & Mercier (not in my price range) just signed Baume with what looks like an unmarked movement i will look for any forum links with Baume on and post a photo when it arrives..
Shame about the Sea King

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.