WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Pateks produced per year

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dr.KOL 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how many watches Patek has made per year from the beginning? I'm particularly interested in the 1880's. Is the watch number an accurate guide to how many watches were produced before it?

#2 ·
You should write to the Patek Museum. I don`t believe the company will release information from recent years but they might be happy to give details from the 1880`s.

#3 ·
I have a friend in the UK that's had the pleasure of meeting PP's country director at a couple PP exclusive dinner's he's been invited to; There are also couple videos on YouTube with Thierry Stern stating his annual production is around 40,000 pieces; either way this is the number I last heard for 2012.

What we'd love to know is the number of pieces per model or better yet, annual production per model per metal! Now that'll be something.

#4 ·
Michael and Donut,
I know most posts are about specific watches, so I appreciate the responses. I've heard Stern mention the 40,000 number also, but that's current production. I also read somewhere that the total number of Patek Philippe watches ever made is less than the number of Rolexes made in the last year, i.e. 800,000 to 1,000,000. I have an 1884 minute repeater pocket watch that is currently at Patek getting evaluated for maintenance. I was just curious how many watches were made that same year. I can get a rough estimate from the watch number, but thought it would be interesting to see real numbers over the years. Patek is known for decreasing production when demand increases.
John

#5 ·
Hi John, my mistake - I should have read your question more closely! You could try asking them, it wouldn't hurt or better yet write to Thierry direct - mention the piece you own (even say it's there for servicing/restoration). He may come back to you with details.

Not only do they control production, they also control the number of completed pieces that leave HQ to regulate global demand. It's a simple trick at PP's level - always keep the supply well lower than demand and they could charge 50%-100% more and we'd still be keen collectors :)

Best M.

#7 ·
Hey Oldcrony,
I posted two pictures of my watch in a new thread called "Advice on dial repair". Any advice would be appreciated. Judging by your member name you might appreciate the classic watches rather than these newfangled ones people wear on their wrists.

#8 · (Edited)
Found it!
Now come on, we just own the antiques! Some of the newfangled ones are pretty darn nice.
I just happen to have one, and only know basics about it, so I really can't give any advice to you.
I'm also on the 100 yr. cleaning plan!!! The last time I had the watch on me, it ran and chimed. As for the other functions ?????
I don't know if you serched this forum. The pics. of the watches in the Patek museum are just awsome! It was worth joining just to see those.

Had problems posting this message. Glad for the auto save, and that didn't save everything. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble posting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.