what is the difference between high quality leather strap vs a cheap strap? [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: what is the difference between high quality leather strap vs a cheap strap?

sito
02-16-2013, 03:03 PM
what is the difference between high quality leather strap vs a cheap strap?

GatorMike
02-21-2013, 07:10 AM
How do you define quality? If it means to you, something extremely precise, punched out by a die, uniform stitching, absolutely flawless material, then buy something from an OEM, Panatime, or a Hadley Roma etc.

If it means something that a person has toiled over, hand selected the leather, top, bottom, middle, cut and skived by hand, threw out, cut and skived by hand again, glued together carefully, allowing enough time for glue to bond properly, grooved stitch lines by hand, and then stitched by hand, with a saddlestich, not a sewing awl that will unravel with a single broken stitch, mounted with quality hardware, that fits into a robust keeper made from the same leather, then check out some of the awesome strap makers here on the Fora. Pm me and I'll give you names of at least half a dozen, whose work I've seen to be incredible, and creative, and comfortable to wear.

sito
02-21-2013, 07:14 AM
I meant high quality as precise stitching, uniform material, leather that don't come undone.

GatorMike
02-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Well the first two lean toward a machine made strap. The last item points toward a handmade strap. Machine made straps use a sewing machine to loop the thread. If a stitch breaks then it all unravels.

HamiltonIllinois
03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
And if you want something considerably...ummmm...less than either of these 2 levels, you can always buy straps from International Watchman. LOL The price is low... and IMHO the quality is mediocre to poor.

Personally I have always loved the Artisanal straps from Hirsch for my best vintage watches. For a long time I got them for $79 (about 1/3 of SRP) and also nice Debeer hand-made straps for around $50 from Jim Rust at RustWatches. Sadly, Jim ran out of Artisanal straps about 2 years ago... and then lately I have been unable to locate Jim for any other straps. I have a new source for non-tapered 16-22mm exotic straps who while not quite as good as Artisanal are still very nice. That said, I would love to experience a nice 1-off hand-made strap. Perhaps I'll give GatorMike a shout for his suggestions. ;)

Parshooter
03-22-2013, 11:41 AM
I just ordered an embossed "leather" strap off ebay. It's coming from China, but at $3.75, it might look good on my $35.00 Russian Vostok. :lol:

GatorMike
03-23-2013, 05:52 PM
. Perhaps I'll give GatorMike a shout for his suggestions. ;)

If you are serious, thank you, I'm flattered. However I'm still learning this stuff and could recommend a few others who are top quality artisans.