WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Tiffany/Patek

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  watch-guy.com 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Looking for some advice/opinions from some experts.

My wife found this watch years ago at a waste dump of all places and we almost simply pawned it for the gold, but later decided to see what it would be worth to restore and get it appraised. After a couple of weeks at a jewelry dealer that specializes in these services, we had to call to see if it had been looked at and to our surprise, they informed us that, once restored, it would be worth $2,700-$3,000 USD! Said it would cost around $700.00 or so to restore. We took it home to think about what to do and decided to take it back to them to see what they would offer (if interested) as is, and they offered $850 :blink: The math just doesn't seem right to us, so this is why I'm here. Since Tiffany & Co. was on the face, we knew that it may be worth something, but didn't realize until after we brought it home that they wrote Tiffany/Patek on the envelope with the restoration quote.

The back is engraved (possibly reducing its value?) with the initials M*W*D and date stamped February 18, 1924. I've been searching the internet for like pieces and can't really find any - I mean, some come close, but no exact likenesses.

My questions are: Was that a reasonable offer as far as you can tell? Should we get it restored, then try to sell it? And if so, where/how do we sell something like this? ebay, Cragslist, another jewelry/watch dealer?

Appreciate any and all comments!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting but not sure why Patek was written?

I cannot see the crown but there may be Patek caltrava embossed on it. Obviously we would need to see the movement before any further comments can be made.

The case does not look it was made by Patek and although looks original ( I cannot read what is written at the bottom of the dial), there does not appear any connection to Patek there either. It is true that ther is a connection betwen the Tiffany store and Patek but not all Tiffany watches wre nade by Patek

A lovely little piece .
Thanks for posting

Julian

#3 ·
Thank you.

Yet another term - Calatrava - I Googled and it does have that particular symbol on the crown if that helps.

SWITZERLANT is what's written on the bottom of the dial. Don't know if it was a "D" at one time or not; never heard of Switzerlant (with the T?). TIFFANY & CO. at the top.

I really don't want to open it any further without fear of damaging something. Is it supposed to pop right out when the crystal case is open (doesn't seem to)? Or is it another way - something to do with the crown...?

We're going to get a second opinion on it this weekend. Was just wondering if any of you had any insight.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.