Tech Swiss winder magnetic field test results [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: Tech Swiss winder magnetic field test results

Rift485
05-10-2012, 07:48 PM
I have a Tech Swiss quad watch winder. I was worried about any magnetic field it may give off and screw with my movements. Tech Swiss customer service said it does not give off any magnetic field. Shocking! :lol:

Although I completely trust everything customer services departments say about their products, I decided to do a test with a brand new coleman compass I picked up. The results:

When all 4 wind pods are turned on, the winder gives off a magnetic field that moves the needle about 20 degrees in one direction on 2 of the pods and 20 degrees in the other direction on the other 2 pods.

By comparison, my free standing stereo speakers spin the needle 180 degrees (due to the large magnets) and my alarm clock spins it about the same 180 degrees. My laptop moves it about 35 degrees on certain areas of the keyboard (even the part that my watch rests on it while typing.

So I've answered the question of "does my winder give off a magnetic field" - Yes.

The real question is, how strong of a field does 20 degrees indicate and what would the "tolerance" of my watch movements be? I'm assuming no one would really know the answer to this as all movements are different. I have a Miyota 9015 Lum Tec movement and 2 Orient movements to worry about at present. Where can I find out? Possibly email Chris at Lum Tec for that one and wing it with the Orients? Or is there some kind of scientific guide to this?

(I know nothing about magnetism)

JBHII
05-14-2012, 03:05 PM
I have a Tech Swiss quad watch winder. I was worried about any magnetic field it may give off and screw with my movements. Tech Swiss customer service said it does not give off any magnetic field. Shocking! :lol:

Although I completely trust everything customer services departments say about their products, I decided to do a test with a brand new coleman compass I picked up. The results:

When all 4 wind pods are turned on, the winder gives off a magnetic field that moves the needle about 20 degrees in one direction on 2 of the pods and 20 degrees in the other direction on the other 2 pods.

By comparison, my free standing stereo speakers spin the needle 180 degrees (due to the large magnets) and my alarm clock spins it about the same 180 degrees. My laptop moves it about 35 degrees on certain areas of the keyboard (even the part that my watch rests on it while typing.

So I've answered the question of "does my winder give off a magnetic field" - Yes.

The real question is, how strong of a field does 20 degrees indicate and what would the "tolerance" of my watch movements be? I'm assuming no one would really know the answer to this as all movements are different. I have a Miyota 9015 Lum Tec movement and 2 Orient movements to worry about at present. Where can I find out? Possibly email Chris at Lum Tec for that one and wing it with the Orients? Or is there some kind of scientific guide to this?

(I know nothing about magnetism)

That's a good question to be sure.

About the only thing I can offer up is of the MANY watch winders I've used (cheap and expensive) I've never had one interfere with the accuracy of my watches. I've not seen or tested a Tech Swiss, but have no reason to believe it would generate a magnetic field that's any different from others I have used and tested.

'Bout the best I can offer up....

ulackfocus
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM
I've owned a 4 head TechSwiss winder (with 2 non-rotating cushions between winders and a drawer for 5 more watches laying flat) for over 4 years now. No issues with magnetism at all.

Rift485
05-16-2012, 08:08 PM
I've owned a 4 head TechSwiss winder (with 2 non-rotating cushions between winders and a drawer for 5 more watches laying flat) for over 4 years now. No issues with magnetism at all.

Sounds like the one I have! In that case, your winder also has a .21 Gauss magnetic field. LOL! I guess I can take your word on it. I know movements will be effected differently based on the type and whether or not the caseback is see through but your testimony is probably the best confirmation I'm going to get!

Thank you for the response.