WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Rewound a 218 cell coil today. [technical ramblings]

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dillworth 
#1 ·
A sample of original 214 wire measures about .0192 (and about .015 of that seems to be copper). I measured an original 218 wire at .0181 so I wondered if it was a smaller diameter of copper. I have .012 and .015 wire, but nothing in between, and this seemed like it might be in between, possibly .014 (I have a document that says it's .013 but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.)

I went ahead and wound a 218 cell coil with my .015 until the form looked about full, and the resistance turned out as 6.2k (old coils are 5.1~6.0k). The coil works and amplitude looks good.

Victory, and a relatively simple one at that. I think the newer 218 wire might have about the same copper diameter, but thinner (newer technology) coating. (My modern wire measures .0185)

I don't need 218 coils yet, as I have some old ones, but people keep asking about them, so I figured I'd try it. It's comforting to know it's not harder than the 214 coils.

#3 ·
Winding the coils using 0.12 wire should help to compensate for the higher voltage of Silver oxide cells. Your success is great news. Although I have a lot of old movements I do not like cannabalizing them just to get out cell coils. I have kept all my dud cell coils and must have over a hundred.
Garry

#6 ·
An interesting one recently (this is off topic) was this Omega 1310 (megaquartz) coil. Final result shown on the spool of the minimum order quantity of wire (ouch). This wire is much bigger than the Accutron wire, .031mm, but the coil was much harder to make because there's no bobbin, it's unsupported in the center.

Audio equipment Gas Cylinder Home appliance Kitchen appliance

The three parts on the left are the original coil, the right one on the mandrel is one of my early trials.

Wood Gas Font Metal Nut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.