WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

GSAR rebuild

416 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mikeyt_53 
#1 ·
Watch Analog watch Clock Line Material property
I got an original Marathon GSAR case and dial off of Etsy- unfortunately it did not come with the original hands, so I sourced those off of amazon. I found a used ETA 2824 on eBay for a fair price, and ordered an extra stem from esslinger just in case. Assembly was a bit finicky - unfortunately a couple of the indices had come loose in shipping and knocked out of place on my first attempt to ease the dial into the case. I re-attached them with a small dab of “new super glue” from the esslinger watch kit, applied with the end of a toothpick. Sadly, I got a small bit on the dial in a couple of spots, and even a dab of isopropyl with a q tip didn’t succeed in removing those spots (if anyone has any tips it’d be appreciated!). Applying the hands was also more finicky than I anticipated, especially with the seconds hand. The first set I tried (after market set that came as a surprise with the case) were clearly not designed for this dial/movement, and scratched the dial a bit (ugh...) as they set far too low. However I got the second set into place and ticking. Very exciting until I got everything into the case and replaced the stem, only to find it stuck in the date set position. Several YouTube videos and three attempts later, I was able to fix this without having to take everything apart, and I was finally able to finish the assembly and set the date and time. It’s all running now, and, despite a few blemishes on the dial, it’s a nice looking watch for well under half the price these are going for used. I can’t wait to get back to the lake and take this under water (once a reputable tech has pressure tested it, of course). All in all, this was super fun despite the frustrations, and I think I’ve found a new hobby!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.