Geckota? [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: Geckota?

chronolobster
04-27-2020, 12:59 PM
Looking at Geckotas site, they have some really nice offerings. A pilot watch with screw down crown, 100m WR, and am ETA 2824 for the same price (roughly) as other brands with NH35 or equivalent. A chronograph with the Seagull ST19 movement for a third less than other micro brands with similar specs. But there are barely any reviews out there. Are they cutting costs somewhere, and if so, where? Or are they just offering a way better value for your money, but with a weird brand name and poor advertising?

mikeyt_53
04-27-2020, 05:53 PM
Just another of the numerous micro-brands. I think they have a decent reputation for their straps etc and just decided to try putting together watch parts to make a watch too. I suspect the somewhat questionable name and lack of social media presence/advertising will keep them under the radar.

chronolobster
04-27-2020, 07:34 PM
That’s what I kinda figured. The two I’m really interested in are the racing chronograph and the pilots watch. Do you think one would get significantly better quality in build/materials from, say, a Laco (basic) pilots watch? I also have an eye on the Baltic Bicompax - they talk a lot about how they treat the movement (which is the same as in the Geckota chrono but for almost $200 US more). Could just be marketing fluff, but if you’re getting significantly better usage out of the movement it might be worth the extra money.

mikeyt_53
04-27-2020, 07:46 PM
The Laco name has been around for a number of years (since 1925) and have a reputation for reasonably good quality and pricing. I know nothing of Baltic watches other than its just another kickstarter watch company (like Geckota) trying to make a buck or two.