recommend for under $300USD? [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: recommend for under $300USD?

americas
04-09-2020, 12:57 PM
Hello,

This forum has been very helpful and I've been looking at watches over the last few months.

I've come to a few conclusions on my watch needs:

- needs to be somewhat subtle as i live and work outside the US
- a field watch is desirable... from what i can tell, they tend to be subtle and rugged... both necessities
- simple - probably not a chronograph
- a second hand is desireable
- GMT is very desireable
- automatic, kinetic or solar is preferred but not required
- calendar date
- dark dial (black, blue, etc.)
- not a dress watch as i find myself in a variety of situations nearly daily where my watch gets knocked around

Some of the options I've been looking at:

- Phobios Eagle Ray GMT PX023C
- Victorinox GMT Infantry 241648
- Wenger 01.1342.101
- Alpina GMT
- Timex Allied 3 GMT (but it isn't subtle and looks more like a dive watch to me)

I'd like to find something like a Seiko or Citizen but can't seem to find something that fits my needs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mikeyt_53
04-09-2020, 01:08 PM
Both the Phoibos and the Victorinox use the same Ronda movement so the performance should be the same and it would come down to looks. The Wenger is a lower level watch. You dont mention which Alpina GMT watch you were considering. Alpina in general is a slightly higher priced watch generally of good quality and the Timex is a bit flashy with the dive watch look. IF i was looking at a Timex, I might consider the Timex Navi World Time watch in that price bracket.

americas
04-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Thanks... my mistake. I should have said the Alpina Startimer GMT... I like the look but it lacks a second hand, which, I suppose isn't a dealbreaker but I do like to have a second hand. Thanks!

mikeyt_53
04-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Alpina makes a number of different 'Startimer GMT' models and everyone one i saw had a second hand. Alpina uses in-house movements based on Sellita watch movements so their quality will be a touch above the rest of your choices but the price will be higher too. Citizen makes an Eco-Drive Promaster 'Tough' with somewhat understated looks and Tissot makes a 'Carson' model that is also of understated looks and both fall within your price range. Seiko's 'Presage' also falls within that price range.

americas
04-09-2020, 02:39 PM
The Startimer Pilot GMT doesn't have a second hand (AL-247BBG4S6). But it's still an option I suppose. Thanks again... going to check out your suggestions!

Jay_R
04-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Of the ones on your original list, my choices would be:

1. Victorinox GMT Infantry 241648

2. Phobios Eagle Ray GMT PX023C

Yes, it's true they share the same movement, but in my experience the build quality (case, crystal, fit and finish, etc) on Victorinox watches is better than most similarly priced watches.

But it's your money, your decision. Get what you like!

mikeyt_53
04-14-2020, 11:26 PM
So did you decide on anything to date ?