WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

TV Case Asymmetric Accutron

878 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Rob B 
#1 ·
I have just exhausted my watch budget for the next several months because of a recent gold watch purchase, but looking to the future, I am thinking about an Accutron TV Asymmetric Case Gold Watch. Not sure of the number. 514 or maybe 521? Anyway, my question is: Is the case of the 14K TV Asymmetric Accutron hollow? Seems like I have seen some of them solid and some of them hollow.

#5 · (Edited)
T2F,

Your observation is correct in my opinion. The case seems "hollow". It's like they used a different manufacturing process to produce it. Whatever process they used it is thin. The case back, cell cover and crown are more substantial than the case. When I started "Your favorite assemetrical" (should be asymmetrical, sorry no excuse) I hadn't handled mine in several years and had forgotten how it was constructed. It kind of surprised me when I opened it to examine/photograph it. Still one of the most beautiful watches produced.

#7 ·
It's nothing much new really, that is, making solid gold watches hollow on the inside. They have been doing that with pocket watches for a very long time as well as wrist watches. The 521 is not an exception by any stretch. It's a matter I think of saving gold and at the same time not making the case too heavy so as to be impractical. Even base metal or silveroid watch cases, both pocket and wrist are often hollow to reduce weight, More so I think in vintage watches than modern though, where some of the big stainless dive watch chunkmasters are a bit like having an anvil on your wrist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.