new to automatics [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: new to automatics

americas
01-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase my first automatic. I've bought and sold a few Tissots and Citizens and due to a major move a few years back, I had only one watch remaining... a Suunto Core, which I love.

However, I was looking for something analog and purchased a Seiko Neo Classic with a white dial (SPC131). I bought it because I liked the dial and was looking for a perpetual calendar and this was the one that fit the new budget. I really like it. The blue hands are beautiful. It could be argued that the dial is a bit busy but I've had chronographs before and I think this is just beautiful. I could do without the chronograph on this watch but, I don't dislike it.

Renewing my interest in watches, I came upon the flieger style B. I really like it. I really like the ones made by Laco but they don't quite fit in the budget. I also haven't owned an automatic before.

And so, I've been on the hunt. I am currently considering two and would like anyone's opinion for someone who isn't going to be building a big watch collection... but just enjoys a nice timepiece.

I'm currently considering the following as my first automatic:

Seiko SNZG15 - I've been recommended higher end Seikos but I've settled on this potentially. I like everything about it, including the price. I know the movement isn't beautiful but I like the transparent case back. The only exception is the 24 hour dial seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Orient ER2A004D - I really like this one as it's a flieger style. It's an automatic. It also has a date complication and I think that's cool, even though the fliegers didn't have them originally. The only thing I don't love about it is the case back isn't transparent. I think I'm currently just enamored with that. The price is good however, I had a friend tell me that the orient movements are junk and won't last nearly as long as the Seikos. But, research I'm finding online seems to contradict that.

So... any thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time.

mikeyt_53
01-20-2020, 08:33 PM
Seiko SNZG15: excellent very affordable & reliable 7S36 automatic watch. To me the only thing missing is the lumed numbers.

Orient ER2A004D; for me the dial is just too 'busy' . I dont think this movement is a 'hacking' movement nor do i think it can be hand wound. Other than that, Orient makes fine automatic watches.

Jay_R
01-20-2020, 09:58 PM
I don't think you will go wrong with either one! IMHO. The Seiko is more tried-and-true, but I like that Orient does their own movements, even though they aren't one of the big players.

The SNZG15 isn't hacking either, is it?

Seiko SNZG15: excellent very affordable & reliable 7S36 automatic watch. To me the only thing missing is the lumed numbers.

Orient ER2A004D; for me the dial is just too 'busy' . I don't think this movement is a 'hacking' movement nor do i think it can be hand wound. Other than that, Orient makes fine automatic watches.

SFwatchGuy
01-20-2020, 10:09 PM
The 7S36 is a non hacking, non hand winding movement. For a few dollars more you can move up to something with a 4R35 or 4R36 hacking, hand winding movement.

americas
01-20-2020, 11:00 PM
The 7S36 is a non hacking, non hand winding movement. For a few dollars more you can move up to something with a 4R35 or 4R36 hacking, hand winding movement.

So I'm looking at the Seiko SRPB61K1, which has the 4R35 movement... i like it. However, the calculator on the bezel... I'm not a pilot... I have a tach on a watch... just feels like it makes the face look busy. But... it's got that "better" movement.

mikeyt_53
01-20-2020, 11:10 PM
I have that bezel on one of my watches and never use it. BUT, i like the idea of the hacking and winding movement so I would ignore the bezel because of the better quality movement and i note that the lume includes the hands and markers. It's still a nice looking watch!

Jay_R
01-21-2020, 12:16 AM
This isn't a field or aviator watch, but check out Orient Commuter 22-JEWEL Automatic RA-AA0C06E19A. It's hand winding and hacking.

The Orient Flight II is really nice, but it's new enough that the price hasn't come down, yet.

SFwatchGuy
01-21-2020, 08:54 PM
So I'm looking at the Seiko SRPB61K1, which has the 4R35 movement... i like it. However, the calculator on the bezel... I'm not a pilot... I have a tach on a watch... just feels like it makes the face look busy. But... it's got that "better" movement.

It might be difficult to find a watch with the exact style you found for your first choice, but if you are at all interested in something in more of a diver's style there are quite a few watches available in the $150 range. Try doing a search for Seiko 5 watches and check out a few internet sights. Most sights will tell you the movement number in the watch.
Try looking for this one:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/923/TarVh8.png (https://imageshack.com/i/pnTarVh8p)

mikeyt_53
01-21-2020, 11:14 PM
You could also have a look at Budabear's Seiko automatic in the For Sale section if a dive watch style suits you.

americas
01-22-2020, 10:59 AM
That's been the thing... finding exactly what you want. :)

I was even thinking of doing a build... but that's a bit out of my league and budget at the moment.

Jay_R
01-27-2020, 01:55 PM
Let us know what you decide... and post photos!

mikeyt_53
01-27-2020, 05:21 PM
There is lots of choice out there in the $200 and under category. Dont rule out Chinese movement watches as their quality has gotten considerably better in the last 10 yrs or so. You just have to decide what features are important and then find a design you like.