Dan Henry watches [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: Dan Henry watches

Grand Martin
11-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Aybody know anything about Dan Henry watches? Im on a waitlist for this panda chrono:

CometHunter
11-12-2019, 12:04 PM
It's possible, but I doubt there's very little anyone knows about Dan Henry Watches, unless you can personally talk to an actual DHW customer because his business wasn't founded until 2016.

As an avid collector, his business strategy is interesting: Eschew modern designs for the sake of creating vintage watch homages. His watches seem to attract favorable reviews, but I should add a cautionary note: his (professional journalist) detractors, on sites like Hodinkee, do not look favorably upon the fact he relies on basic quartz movements instead of higher-quality modules, and his watches use mineral glass instead of man-made sapphire crystals. So take yours off before any roughhousing takes place. Also, they also are disappointed with the lack of lume the dial(s) have...they look great, but apparently leave much to be desired in darkness.

One dissatisfied person has posted on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmYfSVgw7Tw but this is the only bad review I could find!

As I alleged before, Dan Henry Watches is just too new on the scene for there to be much talk about it from the general public.
It is my sincere hope that you return to us with your own review of your purchase, both immediate impressions & a review perhaps 3-to-6 months down the road.
Good luck!

chancer
11-12-2019, 08:54 PM
The only thing I have seen on Dan Henry watches was a you tube video by "The Urban Gentry". He seems to like them.

CometHunter
11-13-2019, 02:09 AM
I hadn't heard of the brand until now. I think he has an exciting concept here. But it seems there's a tremendous amount of concentration on designs fron the bottom half of the 20th century.
If DHW came out with homages to the 30s and 40s (like the Hamilton Piping Rock) I'd be sorely tempted to pull the trigger myself!

mikeyt_53
11-13-2019, 02:27 PM
I will admit that I'd never heard of them until this thread appeared... :001_unsure:

SFwatchGuy
11-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Is there a big difference between the Dan Henry watch and those from MVMT?

mikeyt_53
11-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Is there a big difference between the Dan Henry watch and those from MVMT?

MVMT always struck me as simply a cheaply made fashion/style watch using nothing but quartz movements. Dan Henry appears to be more into making watches that mimic styles from days gone by and (for a couple of models) have used Seiko auto movements.

CometHunter
11-14-2019, 03:06 AM

mikeyt_53
11-21-2019, 06:47 PM
If you are feeling a bit flush with spare cash there are a few restored and original Piping Rocks on eBay....

.....If DHW came out with homages to the 30s and 40s (like the Hamilton Piping Rock) I'd be sorely tempted to pull the trigger myself!

CometHunter
11-21-2019, 07:40 PM
You have a Prvt.Mssg.

mdrtoronto
12-01-2019, 02:04 PM
I have a DH and for the cost it's a decent value. Its mecaquartz, chrono, sharp looking, and came with a nice watch roll and a few straps. As you can see it looks very nice, and it is.

Citing what someone said above, the lume literally does not exist on this model and only one of the 3 registers serves any chronograph purpose.

Do I regret buying? Well no, and it's super cool when you consider you have awesome vintage styling without shelling out 5k or more to buy the 60s originals.

I was on the fence about getting the black PVD Dan Henry1972 because geez it looks awesome but in the end I decided to skip it and got a seiko flightmaster instead.

All this said I had a favorable experience buying the DH and do enjoy the watch. I'm tempted to lume it though and frankly that it wasnt lumed left me feeling a bit duped.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191201/772a52b0c6642d9c74771b9c368ca2ff.jpg

mikeyt_53
12-01-2019, 05:05 PM
That one is a nice looking watch! :thumbup1:

I have a DH and for the cost it's a decent value. Its mecaquartz, chrono, sharp looking, and came with a nice watch roll and a few straps. As you can see it looks very nice, and it is.

Citing what someone said above, the lume literally does not exist on this model and only one of the 3 registers serves any chronograph purpose.

Do I regret buying? Well no, and it's super cool when you consider you have awesome vintage styling without shelling out 5k or more to buy the 60s originals.

I was on the fence about getting the black PVD Dan Henry1972 because geez it looks awesome but in the end I decided to skip it and got a seiko flightmaster instead.

All this said I had a favorable experience buying the DH and do enjoy the watch. I'm tempted to lume it though and frankly that it wasnt lumed left me feeling a bit duped.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191201/772a52b0c6642d9c74771b9c368ca2ff.jpg

CometHunter
12-01-2019, 06:54 PM
Welcome to WTF mdrtoronto and thank you for that. NOTHING is better than first-hand information. Sorry to hear the watch doesn't glow. I've had a few watches where the hands had plain white paint instead of luminescent paint on them, so I understand your disappointment. Fortunately, . you can buy aftermarket paint and do it yourself, assuming you have good eyes and a steady hand.