need a new watch, $200-$500 ... -ish [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: need a new watch, $200-$500 ... -ish

kieran
10-01-2019, 12:27 AM
So I need a new watch, and in my search I find I have a few preferences. I've been looking at some Hamiltons, and like them, but I'm looking for suggestions of some other (maybe less well known?) brands to check out.
A few of the things I'm looking for in order of decreasing importance:
0) Absolutely must be auto/mechanical movement
1) Clean design - I like clean dive watches, field watches, and some aviator/pilot watches if they aren't too busy, doesn't have to be in these genres, just listing them to describe my taste
2) Water resistance - I want to be able to wear this watch all the time for everything and not worry. So I really want 100m (preferrably more) WR with...
3) a screw down crown. I know the "screw down" doesn't make it water resistant, but it does help but really, I like it and that's that. :)
4) Sapphire or other good hard scratch resistant crystal - preferably flat. One thing I don't like about some of the Hamiltons is the domed crystal.
5) day & date preferably, at least date - don't like the bubble glass over the day/date though - again, I like a flat crystal
6) Size: around 38-42mm probably for case diameter. Much less than 38 is a little too small and much more than 42 seems probably too big. That said, one I'm considering is the Hamilton khaki pilot auto at 46mm.
7) I really like the see-through back on some watches - I dig being able to see the movement. Not critical but this is cool, IMO.
8) I kinda *don't* want another dive watch. I do like them, but kinda hoping to mix it up (last watch was a 1995 Seiko SKX007) this time.
9) Numbers (arabic) not dashes nor dots
10) Price ~$500 or less. Might go a little higher if something amazing/perfect presents itself.

As I said, one I'm considering is the Hamilton khaki pilot automatic. https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/h64715535-khaki-aviation-pilot-day-date-auto.html
Why I like it:
It hits # 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 (but not flat) 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10.
Why I haven't bought it yet:
#6 (maybe too big), #4 (sapphire yes, but domed, not flat)
I am also trying to find time to go demo it / try it on. #6 may not be a big deal once I try it. But hard to know. If I like the size, I could probably live with the curved crystal.
I'm not too worried about the band. I have several NATO straps I'll probably use. 50/50 on preferring leather over steel strap/band.

So there it is. Would love suggestions about some other brands to check out that are similar. I've also checked out MkII, and OW...
Thanks for any tips pointers, etc. :-)

mikeyt_53
10-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Citizen, Orient (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orient-Mens-FFE06002D-Excursionist-Luminious-Hands-and-Markers-Automatic-Watch/332299159731?epid=1919729907&hash=item4d5e92c8b3:g:OT0AAOSwQ59ZY2tP) & Seiko would probably be the first 3 that comes to mind in that price range. I also saw a nice Glycine Airman (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glycine-Mens-GL0246-Airman-Vintage-The-Chief-GMT-Automatic-40mm-Grey-PVD/332922469356?epid=20033925059&hash=item4d83b9bbec:g:W8EAAOSwUfVcBW5X) for just over $500 on eBay

I would probably also suggest that you simply plug in some parameters (max price, mens, new or new without tags etc) into eBay and see what shows up. Just avoid 'fashion' watches and Invictas.

SFwatchGuy
10-02-2019, 08:35 PM
If you like the gray market your choices are almost endless.

hifisapi
10-07-2019, 02:05 AM
the only thing I don't like about your selection is the small movt. in a large case; and the clear back shows that off.

CometHunter
10-07-2019, 03:23 AM
I wasn't aware that a selection had been made yet.

mikeyt_53
10-07-2019, 07:38 PM
I think hifisapi was just referring to the Hamilton watch that the OP was considering

kieran
12-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Just in case anyone cares, or if anyone has similar tastes, here's what I landed on:
The Vaer A7 Swiss Automatic
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vaer/vaer-automatic-watches-timeless-design-and-rugged-durability/description
And another I think is quite compelling (but lacks a date) is the drop felix:
https://drop.com/talk/28173/meet-felix-drops-first-homegrown-swiss-movement-automatic-timepiece
I tried the Hamilton linked above, and it was way too big. I realized that 40-42mm is about perfect for my taste/wrist.

I'll try to remember to post about my Vaer when it arrives.

Jay_R
12-13-2019, 09:21 PM
I'll try to remember to post about my Vaer when it arrives.

Any idea when that will be? I hope it's not a Kickstarter "vapor watch". And that it's not made out of "unobtainium".

kieran
12-16-2019, 11:51 AM
Any idea when that will be? I hope it's not a Kickstarter "vapor watch". And that it's not made out of "unobtainium".

Well, they are shipping them now, have been for a few weeks. Some people have received theirs and posted reviews. So I assume it's not a vapor watch. Vaer has been around for a while. This kickstarter was only for their new effort at some Automatic watches, not to kickstart their whole company. Previously all their watches were quartz movements.

I ordered mine pretty late, so I'm way low on the list for delivery time. Hoping it comes this year! :)

mikeyt_53
12-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Well, they are shipping them now, have been for a few weeks. Some people have received theirs and posted reviews. So I assume it's not a vapor watch. Vaer has been around for a while. This kickstarter was only for their new effort at some Automatic watches, not to kickstart their whole company. Previously all their watches were quartz movements.

I ordered mine pretty late, so I'm way low on the list for delivery time. Hoping it comes this year! :)

Post a photo or two of the watch when you receive it?

kieran
12-16-2019, 03:31 PM
Post a photo or two of the watch when you receive it?

Sure!
... if I remember... :)

CometHunter
12-16-2019, 05:20 PM
I hope so. Those photos are your membership dues. :lol:

kieran
12-16-2019, 05:35 PM
I hope so. Those photos are your membership dues. :lol:

LOL.
Fair enough! :D

kieran
12-24-2019, 09:08 PM
As promised!

Jay_R
12-24-2019, 09:39 PM
Nice watch! So the Swiss-assembled model with date is $449 shipped?

kieran
12-25-2019, 09:51 PM
Nice watch! So the Swiss-assembled model with date is $449 shipped?

$449? Uh, no. I think that was the kickstarter price.
There are two swiss autos, the A7 and the A12. Mine is the A7 with the ETA 2827 movement, which I chose primarily due to the choice of faces. The A12 is made with a higher-end movement (ETA 2985) but is only available with a "dirty dozen" homage design. While a beautiful watch, I don't care for the way the second hand is implemented in the dirty dozen watches, and I wanted a date option, which a dirty dozen watch lacks.
The A7 is currently unavailable, but they plan to make more soon. I believe the retail price is $699.
The A12 is available at $899.
Both are hand assembled in Switzerland.
The A5 has a Miyota 9015 movement, is assembled in California, and is available for $449.

The A5 and A7 can look virtually identical save for the "swiss made" imprint on the face of the A7.

GhostOfLenny
02-01-2020, 07:43 PM
I just got a Seiko Golden Turtle a few weeks ago and it's wonderful. Real standout piece with character and feels and looks awesome. A little over your range, more like $575 all in with tax.

mikeyt_53
02-01-2020, 08:33 PM
I just got a Seiko Golden Turtle a few weeks ago and it's wonderful. Real standout piece with character and feels and looks awesome. A little over your range, more like $575 all in with tax.

Pics are always appreciated here on this site!

CometHunter
02-01-2020, 11:43 PM