1930's HAMILTON 912 17J POCKET WATCH - How to set time? [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: 1930's HAMILTON 912 17J POCKET WATCH - How to set time?

osterus
08-19-2019, 12:25 AM
Hi all,

Did very little research and did an impulse buy on a Hamilton pocket watch. The item is below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-HAMILTON-912-17J-POCKET-WATCH-WITH-SS-CHAIN-FOB/133135385580?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edit: Got it working now. After you wind it it wont stop ticking by itself. You have to rotate the watch back and forth or give it a gentle shake to get it moving.

CometHunter
08-19-2019, 07:25 AM
Nice watch! However, it sounds like it is long overdue for a cleaning and application of fresh oil. The old stuff may be getting old and gummy. Getting your watch cleaned and oiled is an easy job for ANY real watchmaker. After being serviced, it should run like new again. Enjoy!

p.s. If you want to throw a pic or two of the movement our way, nobody's going to stop you! :lol:

osterus
08-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Thanks! Also, I believe it will need a cleaning and oiling. The watch seems to only run for 2-3 hours. Stops then starts again so only can take a few revolutions of winding if that.

Also not sure how to open the pocket watch up and probably don't want to fiddle too much with it as I have no idea what I am doing lol.

CometHunter
08-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Hmmm...definitely take it to a watchmaker. The average fully wound pocket watch will run for 26 hours. My Gallet stops a little short of 30 hours, depending on whether or not I move around a lot.

As for opening it up- with some cases you unscrew the back cover (like mine) , while others have hinged cases that open like a book. I can't tell from the angle of the watch, but I'll bet if you turn it over, you'll see a exterior hinge at the bottom of the case. There should be a spot where you can just insert a thumbnail and open the watch up as you would open a small treasure chest.

osterus
08-19-2019, 03:27 PM
There seems to be an exterior hinge at the back of the case at the top right position (near the crown) but I can't seem to pry it open with my fingernail or a ruler. Not sure what tool people use to open it... and I don't want to use too much force as it seems like it will break.

From the ebay listing it has a picture of it though.

Spaceview M2
08-19-2019, 04:51 PM
There seems to be an exterior hinge at the back of the case at the top right position (near the crown) but I can't seem to pry it open with my fingernail or a ruler. Not sure what tool people use to open it... and I don't want to use too much force as it seems like it will break.

From the ebay listing it has a picture of it though.

In order to have a pic attach correctly on an existing thread: Click on Go Advanced first, then type your post and attach pic. :thumbup1:

CometHunter
08-19-2019, 05:49 PM
Not being able to watch what you're doing, I'm at a total loss as to why you can't get the back open.
The photo tells me it obviously doesn't unscrew. And you don't push down on the winding crown, because there's no spring-activated lip to catch on the inside edge of the case back when you go to close the case up. There's no gremlin living inside the watch holding the lid shut. Logic dictates the only answer left is that the back of the watch is pried open. The hinge is at the bottom, so you look for a tiny gap between the case and the back lid toward the top, and pry it open with your thumbnail, butter knife, small screwdriver, plastic letter opener, or a pocketknife IF YOU DO IT CAREFULLY SO IT DOESN"T slip and cut you.

There's no telling how long ago the seller took those snapshots, so it's POSSIBLE some dried on gunk is "gluing" the watch closed. When you take the watch in to have it serviced, ask the watchmaker if he would show you how he opens it up.
That's the best I can come up with.

osterus
08-20-2019, 04:06 AM
I managed to get the back of the case open with around 15 minutes of trying and with quite a bit of force... it was really stuck for some reason.

Now I'm at a loss as to the next step. Watched some youtube videos but it doesn't seem like you can screw this open? Nor is there an exterior hinge? Apologies in advance... I am very new to all of this.

Also, I've messaged 7 watch repair services here to obtain quotes and only 2 got back to me today. One wants to charge me $450 minimum ("Perhaps the mainspring is damaged or has been shortened. This will be assessed in the repair and replaced if required") and another wants me to pay $75 just for the posting and shipping costs to send it back to "the brand" (i.e. Hamilton) to get a quote from them for servicing costs.

Edit: from the ebay picture and a youtube video it seems that you can just "lift" the next case easily open. I've tried for some time but it doesn't seem to be that easy for some reason. It cannot twist and there is really no place to just lift the next hatch.