WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Trying to get a price on a Rolex Submariner 1680

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  AAKVIPER 
#1 · (Edited)
Update get a price on a Rolex Submariner 1680

Hello,
I traded a 1680 Sub to a buddy about 20 years ago. Well he called. He put the watch away after I had serviced it, he's not a watch guy. So now he wants to trade it back to me(not for another watch). I'm trying to come up with a price. But all I can find on 1680's are red dials. Is every 1680 Sub a red dial?:scared: So what to be fair should I consider a moderately worn 1975 Sub to be value wise. Thanks to all that respond. Original dial, insert, and band. :confused1::confused1:
Got it. All that research for nill. My buddy gave me the watch. Said he does not need a watch anymore. So, I gave him, a Winchester 1892 takedown, Winchester 1894 SRC 32-40, and a Colt Sheriffs Model Nickle, one piece Ivory grips, 44-40. Both happy.:001_smile:
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property
Watch Automotive lighting Fluid Gas Nickel
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Camera lens Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Automotive lighting

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That's certainly an interesting story. As a note. We are hobbyist, not appraisers. If your buddy wants to trade it back, maybe you two need to visit an appraiser and get a up close watch evaluation and a accurate value of that watch. And remember, if you walked into a watch shop or an appraiser and ask for an evaluation of a watch, his/her first question would be (Can we see the watch). I doubt anybody could or would want to give a good appraisal without even seeing the watch.

* I wonder why your buddy would trade you for a Rolex 20 years ago if he wasn't even into watches? :confused1:

#4 ·
Another point to consider:
You say your buddy's not a "watch guy".
If he never had it serviced in all the time it was in his possession, you might consider subtracting the cost of a clean and oil service from your buy-back offer.
After 20+ years, the lubricants have surely started to deteriorate by now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.