The cost of maintenance [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: The cost of maintenance

26Brian!
09-29-2018, 08:55 PM
I am curious as to the schedule and cost of maintaining a watch with an ETA automatic movement. Any info will be appreciated and will aid in
my next purchase. Thank you in advance.

mikeyt_53
09-29-2018, 10:24 PM
IMHO only.... ETA auto's are fairly robust but should be cleaned / oiled every 5-7 yrs if you want them to really last a long time.

CometHunter
09-30-2018, 06:03 AM
Where you have the work done will probably be a bigger factor than whether the movement was made by ETA, Sellita, Seiko, HMT, Miyota, etc. People in small towns will pay less for the same repair work than those in major metropolitan areas. In other words, the local standard of living does a lot to dictate prices.

Using my own self as a reference, if memory serves me correctly, my first watch service (without any needed repairs) was around $155. But as I turned into a Repeat Customer, bringing just one repair shop ALL my watches to be serviced, Bernie (my watch guy) would eventually apply different discounts to my bill. Some examples are: decreased cost of actual services, or I'd just be charged the store's cost for repair parts, or minor costs would be waived completely. In April, along with a watch needing cleaning, I presented Bernie with a case of assorted spring bars in sizes too small and too long for me to use. As a result of this, Bernie charged me a flat $100 for the cleaning.
The moral of this story is that while your first servicing can seem pricey, it IS possible to positively affect what you'll have to pay for future services. You scratch your watchmaker's back, and chances are that he'll scratch yours!

Oscote
11-17-2018, 10:16 PM
Aye - that can be said about a lot of things in life. Sometimes kindness and being a repeat customer can make a big difference. Just learning her name and always being nice to the cashier lady where I work gets me a free breakfast every now and then:biggrin: