Best watch for millennial in 150-350 price range? [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: Best watch for millennial in 150-350 price range?

Victoria
05-21-2018, 01:38 PM
Iím looking for a high-quality watch for my nephew (age 21). What are the best brands in the price range 150-350 USD?

I am ideally looking for a watch that allows for a lot of customisation (watch straps, dials etc.), personalisation (engraving) and/or other unique service or product features.

CometHunter
05-21-2018, 06:35 PM
I believe what you're thinking of is something analogous to a cocktail watch, but in a man's world, I don't remember seeing such a watch. Men don't swap out dials or bezels like a lady will do with her cocktail watch (such as exchanging blue or red stones for clear ones, or for solid gold-colored metal.) And although it is certainly possible to do with straps, many men go through the entire age of the watch without changing the strap except for rare wear-through instances. Of course, strap swaps can be facilitated with the help of quick-release spring bars

but finding the straps that use these bars can be a challenge. And while some guys don't mind swapping out their straps, most just don't want to be bothered!
Let's face it... Except for some engraved lines on the back of the case, or an OCCASIONAL watch strap, regular guys just don't customize their watches all that much!

You will fare much better by getting a solid, dependable watch, not too style-specific, by an established company that makes watches AND ONLY WATCHES! Such brands include Citizen, Seiko, Orient, Bulova. Get what those in the watch business call a "sport watch". But don't confuse this with a sports watch. Sports watches are designed for a specific sports function. Sport watches, on the other hand, are more casual than a formal dress watch, but will also go with a tee-shirt and jeans.

You don't say how close you live to your nephew. Many times, I suggest that the buyer and recipient make a special day out of it. Meet or take your nephew out for lunch, then go window shopping together, letting him pick out the watch that best strikes his fancy! Not only will he get a great watch...thanks to you it will have a special emotional attachment for him as well.

CometHunter
02-27-2019, 06:30 AM
(1) Since this thread is almost 10 months old, I'm sure the watch has already been purchased, months and months ago.

(2) If you had read our Rules of Conduct, (as you were supposed to do when you registered for membership) you'd have known that you may NOT supply clickable links to any commercial non-Sponsors of Watch Talk Forums.