Starting an under 500 collection [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: Starting an under 500 collection

seminarian
11-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Hey guys I decided I will have two collections 1 will be of historic vintage military watches inWW2 bu I also want to build a collection based on practicality and watches I can use depending on the day. I am puttin a 500 dollar limit on it but really would like to keep it around 250 or lower.

I want one dress watch just in case and was looking at the orient Bambino but other wis I want to keep it feild watches and dive.

Just bought a orient Mako 2 automatic to start the collection but have been looking at more.

How are timex expoditions and watterburrys are they worth getting?
What is something I should be looking at in my price range?
Suggestions?

CometHunter
11-08-2017, 07:30 PM
How are Timex Expeditions and Waterburys; are they worth getting?
I suppose they're worth getting. They're reasonably priced for a major well-known brand, and I haven't heard anything bad about either line.

What is something I should be looking at in my price range? Suggestions?
Besides a price cap, your collection specifications are still not too specific. You're not concentrating on one single brand, or just chronographs, or World Time models, or regular calendars that look like chronographs, or 24-hour watches, or perpetual calendars, etc.
So I'd say just be patient, keep your eyes open and get what appeals to you personally.
If I may get a little personal here, don't rush in too quickly to spend money and get this collection started. You started this venture only 2 or 3 days ago....collect with your brain as well as your heart.

BTW: those Timex models are spelled E-X-P-E-D-I-T-I-O-N and W-A-T-E-R-B-U-R-Y

seminarian
11-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Mixture of dive and field quartz and automatic in that price range with 1 dress watch

BrianG
11-11-2017, 11:29 PM
There is a company over here called the Melbourne Watch Company who turn out some very nice items with iconic Aussie location names if you want to start a "round the world" collection.