How to Sell a Watch [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: How to Sell a Watch

hjb123
10-01-2017, 12:29 PM
I am buying a new watch, and as I cleaned out a drawer, I found an old Seiko 6139 6005, which is, apparently, valuable. I have no idea how to sell a watch--I understand how eBay works but I wonder whether there are better or different ways. Please provide whatever advice you can. Thanks for the help.

CometHunter
10-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Hi there!

If your watch is indeed valuable, sign on to watch collector sites like ours that have pages strictly set aside for the members to buy/sell/swap their watches.

(Note- we require a certain # of posts before our members can sell their stuff here.)

By utilizing a watch site sales forum instead of eBay, you are less likely to encounter those insulting lowball offers. You are also more likely to hear from someone who will appreciate your watch and its history, and won't mind making an honest offer to pay what the watch is worth.

righttime
10-04-2017, 03:46 PM
My .02 cents as someone who buys and sells on ebay and other places, ebay is the easiest but the sales price varies widely. Appearance and condition matter. I checked completed ebay sales for your model and the average is about $225 with some that looked brand new getting $600 or more. I have bought/sold on professional auctions houses that usually get less money than ebay and the fees can be higher than ebay. I have no experience with sales on this site.

If you list on ebay consider the time that your auction ends. There is a large market for vintage Seiko in Asia and an auction that ends in the evening, Japan time, might get a higher bid. 3pm New York is 4am Tokyo.