WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Today is the 100 year anniversary of the United States entering the Great War.

876 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RJ007 
#1 ·
Today is the 100 year anniversary of the United States entering the Great War.

Please help me honor the memory of all who served today, especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

If you have a WWI trench watch make sure you wear it today and post a picture, I'd love to see it.

Today I'm wearing a 1916 WWI Elgin Trench Watch, giant size 6s, BOLD Arabic enamel military dial, grade 289, 7 jewels.

Factory drilled hour maker lum dots, skeleton hands, Philadelphia case with a Mealy Manufacturing "DUO" crystal guard.

We are all fully aware of what this war did for watch design and the rapid advances in technology that were seen over the next 18 months.

The advances made by Ezra Fitch, Charles Depollier, Aaron Dennison and Francis Goodrow still echo 100 years later in 2017.

Today I honor these men as well, their hard work and dedication to horology helped win the war for the allies.

Tiffany and I are going to attend a ceremony at the Houston National Cemetery this morning at 8:30 honoring the centennial and all who served.

The National WWI Museum and Memorial in Kansas City is holding a huge event today starting at 10am CST, it can be viewed online, just go to the museum web page.

There are ceremonies being held in many National Veterans Cemeteries coast to coast today, here is a link, there might be one in your area.

https://www.cem.va.gov/ceremony/2017_WWI_Wreath_Laying.asp

See less See more
#2 ·
Tiffany and I just got back from the WWI Centennial Memorial Service at the Houston National Cemetery, very nice service.

After the service we walked around the cemetery and laid roses at the graves of the of WWI veterans.

I was fortunate enough to get a shell casing from the honor guard's 21 gun salute, it will be proudly displayed on the shelf in my shop.

#3 ·
In World War I, a Canadian officer wrote a famous poem titled "In Flanders Fields" about the bright red poppies growing between the graves of fallen soldiers on the battlefields in Belgium.

It is said to represent the blood of fallen soldiers, but also new life and hope amidst desolation.

This is why you find VFW members giving away little red crepe paper poppies when you make a donation.

Poppies also represent consolation and eternal sleep in the language of flowers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.