WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Patek Fake???

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CometHunter 
#1 ·
Hello all! I have been collecting watches for only about a year and I just joined this forum. This is my first post! I found this Patek Philippe a few weeks ago in a box of old watches at an estate auction. I am guessing it is a fake, but I wanted to post it here for opinions, just in case! :biggrin:

Thanks-Jeff

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, DS, and thanks for joining us!

Oooh! That gives off the aura of "really really cheap watch", but on to the instructional stuff...
1) You'll never see that dial in ANY Patek Philippe catalogs.
2) PP never used those kinds of hour markers.
3) I don't know what that symbol is at the 3 and 9 position, but it's also nothing PP would use.
4) The cheap case is nowhere near PP's level of quality.
5) The back of the case is laser etched. PP doesn't laser etch...they use high-quality egraving.
6) The movement rotor (that large pendulum) is the wrong shape. It's typical of inexpensive east Asian watches.
7) All the movement parts appear to be roughly stamped out of sheet metal. PP parts are carefully machined to extremely high tolerances.

I suggest you Bing or Google images of "PATEK PHILIPPE ROTORS" to see what PP quality really looks like.

The good news is that it was from an estate sale, so you're really not out too much money (on that example anyway! :lol:). And it's a great example of what NOT to look for in a PP. (Well, at least they got the PP logo right.)

Take care!

Reactions: mikeyt_53
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.