Help with value of my waltham pocket watch [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: Help with value of my waltham pocket watch

Sean 011974
02-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Hi all very much enjoying the forum and learning lots. I have this old Waltham pocket watch my gradfather gave me I would really like to know how old it is and what you guys think it might be worth thank you for your help

mikeyt_53
02-07-2016, 12:16 PM
I can tell you that the watch has a model 1891 size '0' Seaside grade movement produced in (approx) 1898-1899 and housed in a solid 14k gold case made by the American Watch Case Company. The unadjusted 'Seaside' grade was the lowest grade used in size "0" Waltham pocket watches and i believe this example has 7 jewels. Just from a cursory view i suspect the watch does not work so the present value would likely be scrap gold value. Restoring it may be a relatively simple repair, clean & overhaul and i would guestimate a cost of $150 to do so if you would rather repair & cherish it.

Sean 011974
02-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Thank you very much for your reply I have wanted to get it fixed but fear that it my decrease the value thanks again :)

HOROLOGISTOO7
02-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Good reply from mikeyt-53
I would add - welcome and having the watch restored will surely enhance its value - currently its value is basically it weight in 14kt gold.

Having it serviced would make it a well restored nice gold pocket watch - not worth any great fortune but more than its weight + the service cost

Hope that helps and here we hate to see vintage pieces scrapped just for their gold value - so get ir repaired.

Once again, welcome
Adam

mikeyt_53
02-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Thank you very much for your reply I have wanted to get it fixed but fear that it my decrease the value thanks again :)

No, quite the contrary. Repairing the watch will give it a nice boost in value and as Adam suggests, we hate seeing good watches get scrapped just for their case value.

literustyfan
02-08-2016, 08:37 AM
It looks like the mainspring barrel arbor is missing.

A very common part, should be very easy to get another one but the movement simply will not work until it has been replaced.

One bridge screw and the two screws that secure the movement to the case are missing as well.

Sean 011974
02-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys for all your help i am in south africa so I am sure this is going to be a mission to find some one to fix the watch but will keep you posted hopfully next pictures will be of my working pocket watch any idea what it might be worth once repaired