I have the Bergeon 6767F, still not getting it. [Archive] - WATCH TALK FORUMS

: I have the Bergeon 6767F, still not getting it.

Tinksmum
12-23-2015, 01:37 AM
I'm trying to replace the bracelet on my spouse's beater (surprise for Christmas) He really loves the watch—had to buy three to find the magic combination then the expansion bracelet that came on it broke. I have purchased two different Speidel bracelets and neither one, with all my might and main (and my Bergeon 6767F) will let me maneuver the spring bars into place. It is as though the watch lacks space on either side for the final bracelet link (each bracelet has spring loaded cuffs at the end to secure the fit, which seems to add to the thickness of the metal that must rest alongside the case.) Either the watch or the bracelet is too fat, the lugs aren't long enough, or the holes need to be nearer the ends of the lugs.

I'm hoping there is a secret formula to solve this and would love to hear from the person who knows it! I would truly be ever in your debt. (There's no reason you should be different:laugh:)

I must say I find a distinct advantage to using a fine Swiss tool. The holes it pokes in the fingers when it slips bleed only minimally and are remarkably free of pain the next day.:cursing:

CometHunter
12-23-2015, 03:25 AM
We regret to inform you that there is no secret formula.

Are you sure that these ''problem spring bars'' are the same ones that were in the watch before? The space between the lugs, measured in millimeters, should be about 2mm less than the total length of the spring bars...17mm lug gap = 19mm spring bars for example.

Another possibility is that the bars are damaged, preventing the end nubs from going into the body of the bar.

Also, it IS entirely possible (speaking from personal experience) that the lug's holes are in the wrong spot for your choice of expansion band. Some holes are closer to the case while others can be found near the tips of the lugs.

And, yes, Swiss tools are less painful than the cheaper ones (again, personal experience).

Without seeing the watch, I'd say take it to a watch repair shop. Tell him the problem. The watchmaker has lots of different size bars.
There's a 95% chance he won't even charge you for doing this. Even if he does, those bars are about 30 cents to a dollar apiece, depending on whether they are the el cheapo kind or real Swiss spring bars.

Tinksmum
12-23-2015, 01:23 PM
I'm glad to hear it wasn't "just me". I could tell the lug holes were a lot closer to the case than they needed to be and that that was probably my biggest problem. As it turned out, contrary to Einstein's wisdom, it was at least in part seemingly ceaseless repetition of the same process that finally resulted in success.

I can't remember exactly what I was doing when the first end of the bracelet finally seated, besides the fact that the "front" face of the link needed to lie against the watch case to bring things into line. That seemed to be the thinnest wall of the link and when I lined up the bracelet thusly, sans springbar, with the lugholes I was able to see light. (these are the "easy" ones that go all the way through the lug) I can report that some hours later I finally clicked the second springbar into place by walking it as closely as possible into what appeared to be alignment with the "top" hole and maneuvering the errant end upward with the tool to seal the deal. Good thing about the position I had to work the bracelet in was that it took some umph to turn it forward, removing any doubt I may have had as to the surety of the lock.

The jeweler was my next plan of attack, but not sure how congenial the technician might be to the parts I had already bought elsewhere. Very good to know they are agreeable to doing such things and that the price can be so reasonable. Next replacement bracelet I intend to purchase from someone with the skill and willingness to do the install.

Many thanks for the quick response! Cheers and a Merry Christmas.