Looking for advice on 214 and 218
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Looking for advice on 214 and 218

My Watchbox

Default Looking for advice on 214 and 218

Just picked up a group of 3 vintage Accutron watches, looking for advice on refurbishing these. Here's a list of what I have:

M7 (1967), 218D, Case #2662, S/N E43165 14KGF case
    M6 (1966), 214 (mvmt date M7), 10KGF case w/SS back, case #2548, S/N B63605; looks to be model "410"
    M0 (1960), 214 (mvmt date M1), SS case w/14K INLAY, Star Watch Case Co, S/N 126368; beautiful rare model!

Already polished and cleaned the cases, looking for info on best, "most authentic" style of crystal on these three. Stella WEC? Or reflector ring type?
    oliverb likes this.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

The crystal for your 2662 case is 1222-4.
    For a 2548 case the crystal is 1258 AW. Are you sure the number is 2548 and not 2549 as this case has a 1258 AY crystal.
    You gp case should have an armored yellow crystal, not an armored white. You could use an armored white crystal by simply exchanging the tension ring with the one from your watch.
    If you post a photo of your M0 watch someone will know what the correct crystal is.

My Watchbox

Thank You, here's a pic of the 14k/ss M0.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by nedice View Post
    Thank You, here's a pic of the 14k/ss M0.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    Very nice watch, in much better condition that mine, which also needs a new crystal. I took the back off mine but there is no number. The case is stamped "Star Watch Case Company". Does anyone know anything about the Star Watch Case company?

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by vim203 View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the Star Watch Case company?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Watch_Case_Company

Quote Originally Posted by vim203 View Post
    Very nice watch, in much better condition that mine, which also needs a new crystal. I took the back off mine but there is no number. The case is stamped "Star Watch Case Company". Does anyone know anything about the Star Watch Case company?
    That appears to be case #2547 per post # 54 on this link: Case # Research

If so here is what is called out for that case #. A more expert opinion other then mine would help also!!
    005.jpg
    *Moderator* Bulova & Accutron Forum

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

Not an expert on these, but the odd thing is that the ABC catalog calls up a 1220-2 crystal for the case 2547. The 1220-2 crystal is 29.1mm I believe, while the 1277 is 29.0mm. Not that the extra 0.1 is going to make much difference on a snap dome type crystal, its just curious that they quote different types. Unless I have overlooked something obvious which is possible!

Regards, Rob
    oliverb and Spaceview M2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Not an expert on these, but the odd thing is that the ABC catalog calls up a 1220-2 crystal for the case 2547. The 1220-2 crystal is 29.1mm I believe, while the 1277 is 29.0mm. Not that the extra 0.1 is going to make much difference on a snap dome type crystal, its just curious that they quote different types. Unless I have overlooked something obvious which is possible!

Regards, Rob
    Yep Rob. There are a few anomalies that pop up on this case/crystal reference . This popular Spaceview case/Crystal reference pic list shows it as 1220-2 also.

Spaceview Case Numbers.jpg

But Clark Aftermarket Reference on a 1220-2 shows 29.0mm ?????
    s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by Spaceview M2; 06-19-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    *Moderator* Bulova & Accutron Forum

My Watchbox

Thanks everyone! The SS/14K does measure 29.0mm, so I'm going with that.

Since there is no actual case number, just the Star Watch Case Co insignia, it is similar to the other case # mentioned above.

According to this list, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0i...tNTFYzLTA/view, it shows the case # as "football".

(In my next life I want to come back as one of my pets!)

My Watchbox

The term 'Football' is simply one of several generic terms used because of the asymmetrical case. Your 1960 Accutron is a model 203. Other features for the 203 that are original include the setting ring snapping into place; a three point battery contact on the battery hatch cover; a ring type setting stem spring and a three wire 5 solder point coil.

Your 203 will make a valuable addition to your Accutron collection. Well done

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information