Heritage Auction
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Omega Seamaster

My Watchbox

Default Omega Seamaster

Hello everyone,

New forum member here. I picked up this watch today. I was hoping for some help in figuring out exactly what I've got. The dial is signed Omega Automatic. The case back (outside) says Seamaster and Waterproof (faint but readable). I opened the snap back case and the case is marked with ref 2846-2 SC with a small triangle below that number. The movement is marked as cal 500, and a 14 million serial number. I've read that 14,000,001 - 14,999,999 were produced between 1954 and 1956. I've also read that cal 5xx movements were produced between 1956 and 1960. Here are some of my questions:

Based on serial number/cal production dates overlap, it is reasonable to say this is a 1956?
    Why isn't the dial signed 'Seamaster"?
    Are the all Arabic lumed hour markers and black dial unusual/desirable?
    Have you seen any other examples of this variant and, if so, where?
    What does the small triangle below the ref number signify, if anything?

Thanks!
    DSC09841.jpgDSC09840.jpgDSC09836.jpgDSC09843.jpgDSC09845.jpg

Welcome to the WTF.

Sure is a nice watch. I am in no position to give you any details about it but you do have quite abit of info that will certainly help in getting more info. Have you done any google searches on that watch to look for similar dials?
    *Moderator* Bulova & Accutron Forum

Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Interesting & welcome aboard! I am not an Omega expert by any stretch of the imagination but i suspect this watch has been cobbled together using parts from other Omegas. The dial is not only missing the 'Seamaster' but its missing the chapter ring that i usually see in Seamasters from the 50's. The case back is also missing the Seamaster logo and is heavily worn which i think is unusual. The 500 movement looks to be authentic though and i would place this watch in 1955 or possibly early 1956.

Btw... there is a 'similar' calendar watch version with the 503 movement on eBay here.

My Watchbox

Thank you. The case actually does have the Seamaster logo. It also says Waterproof. It is definitely worn. It doesn't look like the Seamaster logo was deeply incised on these to begin with so, over-polishing would easily explain it. The case, marked 2846 2 SC is also correct for the cal 500 movement. I'm not an expert... I'm barely a novice on Omegas or any other watch for that matter but, it appears to me that the case and movement are correct. To me, the hands look correct, as well. The dial is the question for me. A redial would explain the missing Seamaster signature on the dial, as well as the chapter ring. The heavily lumed Arabic hour markers remind me of WWII era military watches. I think I read somewhere that was the look Omega was looking for when they first put out the Seamaster but I'll have to do more research on that. I also haven't pulled the movement out of the case to inspect the dial more closely. I wonder if the Seamaster signature was ever there. Does anyone know if Omega ever produced a Seamaster without the dial signature? Is it possible this is a genuine Omega dial, just not a Seamaster?

My Watchbox

"Welcome to the WTF.

Sure is a nice watch. I am in no position to give you any details about it but you do have quite abit of info that will certainly help in getting more info. Have you done any google searches on that watch to look for similar dials?"

I have googled and, so far, no matches. I'll keep looking, though. I kind of fell into this watch. I was at the last day of a 3 day estate sale. My wife asked if they had any watches (she's looking out for me) and they had this and two other watches. I usually tend to gravitate toward Bulovas and, in particular, Accutrons. Right now, I'm looking for an inexpensive donor 221 movement.

Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

That was my thoughts that the dial may very well be an Omega dial and may even have been off of another Seamaster but I suspect that its a redial though. I'm not sure that over-polishing would have nearly removed that Seamaster logo from the case back though. It may very well be that the watch is original that is simply exhibiting a lot of wear & tear with a repainted dial. In any event, its still an interesting watch.

btw... did you look at the one on eBay that i had a link to in my prior post?

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt_53 View Post
    That was my thoughts that the dial may very well be an Omega dial and may even have been off of another Seamaster but I suspect that its a redial though. I'm not sure that over-polishing would have nearly removed that Seamaster logo from the case back though. It may very well be that the watch is original that is simply exhibiting a lot of wear & tear with a repainted dial. In any event, its still an interesting watch.

btw... did you look at the one on eBay that i had a link to in my prior post?
    I did look at the one on eBay. It has the lumed Arabic numbers like mine. The font looks the same, so it looks like Omega did make something similar. Then there's that missing Seamaster and chapter ring. Thanks for finding it!

My Watchbox

My Watchbox

What is that model number on the inside back case
    There appears no caliber 500s with anything that resembles that model number.

See here:
    https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...itage/vintage/

And surely a redial!

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGISTOO7 View Post
    What is that model number on the inside back case
    There appears no caliber 500s with anything that resembles that model number.

See here:
    https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...itage/vintage/

And surely a redial!
    I agree with your assessment that it is a redial. The case ref is 2846 - 2 SC
    I'm not sure what you are saying about the model number.
    CajunMike wrote in 2010:
    "...the cases 2846 and 2848 were used with both caliber 49x and 500. In fact they were so identical that a case ref number 2846-2848 was made. And since the ref number here is 2848-sc it means that probably a 500 was the correct caliber since the sc refers to seconds central. Both the 49x calibers were subseconds..."
    mikeyt_53 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information