+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Index Wheel Holder

WTF Junior Member
    (Don't give up. Don't ever give up.)

My Watchbox

Default Index Wheel Holder

Any ideas on how to fabricate an index wheel holder for cleaning? I see where some folks leave the index wheel in the watch for cleaning but it adds an additional cleaning step if you want to remove the gears for cleaning. I see one on ebay but it gets pretty expensive when you add shipping to the USA. Been looking for a couple of months on ebay but I don't see them coming up for auction. Tough little buggers to find.

WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

I believe either the manual or somewhere else I've read, they recommend taking a pair of tweezers and drilling a small indentation into each inside tip. Then bend a piece of wire (paper clip perhaps), loop it around the tweezer in such a manner that one can create tension by sliding the wire back and forth. I.e, by sliding it towards the tips, it will increase tension and hold the index wheel being held between the tips. There's a pic of how it would look also. Was it Frystak, or perhaps a book by Henry B. Fried? Busy at the moment but I can take a pic later and post.

Eric
    mikeyt_53 likes this.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

There is a holder which was made by Bulova...have also seen the tweezer reference.
    I have "junk" 214, 218, ESA 619x, and Beta 21 plates...so I just mount the index wheel in the "junk" movement and use the original plate to carry the tf and pawl when cleaning. Removing the caps will result in better cleaning of the pivots.

This method absolutely protects the index wheel teeth...which is as important as cleaning them. There is an argument that the pivots are less-accessible to the cleaning solution...but no more so than with the holder or tweezers.

Regards, AT
    Last edited by Accutimer; 06-09-2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Further clarification.

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

I bung 'em in a 2mL plastic centrifuge sample tube with cleaning-fluid made up by my own recipe which is principally ammoniated floor-cleaner, then into the ultrasonic for 5 minutes. That does it, works a treat, after that, a swill in distilled then isopropyl-alc and another minute in the ultrasonic, great!

No need for tools like that, as I feel its more likely when bunging it into the tool, it'll ping off into outer space or get squashed!

My Watchbox

I place my index wheels into an inverted old crystal and then into my ultrasonic cleaner. I tried once, and once only, to clean one in a holder. The holder send all the vibration of the cleaner directly into the wheel and dislocated the wheel from the shaft. Never had that happen until then.

Paul
    Paul

WTF Junior Member
    (Don't give up. Don't ever give up.)

My Watchbox

Paul...What is an inverted crystal?

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Fish View Post
    Probably had an old crystal and turned it upside down (making a bowl) to hold the index wheel.
    Accu-man likes this.
    *Moderator* Bulova & Accutron Forum

My Watchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Fish View Post

Paul
    Time2Fish likes this.
    Paul

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

FWIW...I don't like the teeth of the wheel to touch anything when being cleaned...period...
    The issue for me with the holder is that if the pivot misses the hole when clamping...you likely damage the wheel...
    An otherwise "dead" mainplate and bridge both holds and protects while in the ultrasound insuring that the teeth are completely cleaned...
    Best regards, AT

WTF Junior Member

My Watchbox

The soft nylon/HDPE type plastic of a small centrifuge tube wont damage beryllium-copper either, been using 'em for years in the ultrasonic for index-wheels....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information