Accutron crystal profiles

Panatime
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Accutron crystal profiles

My Watchbox

Default Accutron crystal profiles

Hello all,
    I've tried to read all the old threads about the Accutron crystals and there is plenty of documentation out there that matches crystals to cases maintaining originality.

The problems facing many of us is that our watches are using replacement crystals especially from Clark.
    Here's a profile of my Accutron Spaceview with a Clark crystal:

I don't think the crystal profile is correct but I have not found good pictures with which to compare.

Would some of you with more knowledge and original examples of Spaceviews and Astronauts please post some side view pictures of your watches for a basis of comparison.

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by bmwktmbill; 01-09-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Bottom two are 1963 Spaceview "C" and top is the 1962 Spaceview "B". Both watches with correct crystals. I don't own any Clark Spaceview Crystals to compare.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
    Last edited by Spaceview M2; 01-09-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    **Moderator**
    *Bulova & Accutron Forum*

My Watchbox

Thanks M2, that's exactly what I thought.
    The Clark crystal is just ugly by comparison. It is not domed at all.
    It might look OK on an Astronaut with the bezel but I think it's the wrong diameter.

What is Clark thinking?
    It's a turkey for sure when you look at it from the side.

Fortunately I have a correct one. The whole point of the B case is the profile if it's a Spaceview.

My eyes aren't strong enough to see into the movement easily and the hands aren't too bad a copy but the crystal is dead ugly. It is easy enough to tell the time with the incorrect hands

Surely there is an Asian knockoff company to make reasonably correct hand and crystal replacements.

Again thanks, your 'B' is beautiful.

Bill

BTW ran on to these guys with a quick search...

http://www.crystalfit.com/index.html

b
    Last edited by bmwktmbill; 01-09-2017 at 10:12 PM.

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

For what it is worth...a number of manufacturers no longer supply crystals with the same profile of the original model. A current genuine Rolex 1016 replacement crystal has a beveled edge...original had a radius edge. IMO a travesty in the change in appearance. What is Rolex thinking$!$!$

WTF Full Member

My Watchbox

Clark claims: "Our crystals are Specially designed to meet the quality and specifications of the originals". If the differences are as big as they are shown above the statement is simply not the truth. It should be said as it is: "Our crystals are printed standard crystals of high quality, the shape can differ from the original".
    Regards, Daniel

A am assuming OP Spaceview has a Clark 1210-3SY 30.55mm crystal in it. I am not sure if they make G-S yellow dot replacement crystals and if they do, what they look like. I know there are alot of G-S Accutron replacement crystals for sale but never researched or bought any.
    **Moderator**

My Watchbox

M2, here's the face of the crystal that I am calling a Clark.

And here's my replacement crystal. It does say ACCUTRON under the label.

The printing on the Clark is good and works nicely for telling time but the profile is way off in my opinion.

Viewed without magnification the crystal and hands work well together.

All the Spaceviews on E bay as a general rule are using this combination.
    It makes the watch wear big because it snags at times on my sleeve.

I think this is what's on my watch, you can see the steep side of the crystal.
    Clark does a poor job of presenting it with photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accutron-Spa...3D252412564681

Bill
    Last edited by bmwktmbill; 01-11-2017 at 02:53 AM.

Yes, I agreed your crystal is a Clark. I never saw a side profile and have never bought one so the dome profile is a bit surprising. Like many items that are reproductions, they certainly serve a purpose in the overall hobby, good or bad. Your other original crystal when installed will make a difference in fit and profile.
    **Moderator**

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information