What happened to Longines brand value after the 1940s?

WINNER OF THE LONGINES PHOTO COMPETITION

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ulackfocus

Thread: What happened to Longines brand value after the 1940s?

My Watchbox

Default What happened to Longines brand value after the 1940s?

Wondering if anyone would be willing to share their view of Longines history as a brand.....?

Reading between the lines (and I may have got this horribly wrong), I'm under the impression that at least up to the 1940s, Longines was consistently mentioned in the same breath as Rolex and Omega and other "first tier" brands. But, rightly or wrongly, I'm under the impression that today they are regarded very much as a second tier brand. Don't get me wrong, I am an avid fan of Longines regardless. But during the first half of the last century, they really seemed to be at the cutting edge of developing some great movements. And now they appear, well, not to be.

At the risk of starting some debate, can someone help me understand this and have I got this right, or am I completely wrong here?

Moderator WTF Veteran

My Watchbox

Nah, I think you have it within reason. Longines, in my eyes, is a 2nd tier (but a high level second tier) brand. Longines has been very consistent in their approach & marketing since the early days. They cant, or dont want to, compete with Rolexes of the world and fit very nicely into that niche just below them.
    Last edited by mikeyt_53; 12-17-2016 at 11:13 PM.

Super Moderator WTF Veteran
    (Love me some Hammy)

My Watchbox

Longines is part of the Swatch Group. It's position in the market is really a corporate decision to slot it within the other Swatch brands. I think it's niche is intended to fill the gap between Hamilton and Omega.
    Watch Talk Forums Admin Team Member

Platinum Patron Member WTF Veteran ulackfocus's Avatar
    (Be faithful to one woman. Have flings with hundreds of watches. ™)

South Jersey (no, it does not smell here)

My Watchbox

Rolex wasn't the big name it is now until the 80's. They were always good, but not in the same league as Longines and Omega from the 40's through the 60's. The quartz crisis / revolution in the 70's set the watch industry on it's ear, and when mechanicals started to recover Rolex marketing was the best in the industry.

Longines was in a small group of VERY respected name brands until the 70's, and many people saw them as THE brand to own. Omega started catching up to Longines in the 50's and played roughly in the same league in the 60's with them.

When Vacheron and JLC wanted to have better market share in America, they went to Longines for help - but that import partnership is another story.

Many of the names that have tremendous cache today are reconstituted as they went bankrupt or nearly went under during the 70's. Blancpain and Girard Perregaux were decent back then but not the high end brands of today. A. Lange & Sohne was middle tier at best when they were caught behind the iron curtain, and were basically liquidated in 1948. When the name was raised from the ashes in 1990 by the same family, they made themselves into one of the best in the industry, releasing their line in 1994 which rivaled top brands' products that had survived like Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin (who saw some very dark days in the 70's and 80's particularly when a Shiek owned the company), and Audemars Piguet.
    Last edited by ulackfocus; 12-19-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    WTF Sheriff, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by uglyone4u View Post
    If a watch dial needs an explaination then it misses the primary function of a watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyone4u View Post
    Money squandered on quartz is not available for a real purchase.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information